• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Re-crowning a barrel; anyone with a crowning tool willing to rent/borrow out?

Now I need a laser bore sighter to help get this at least on paper before I take it to the range otherwise I'll be throwing a lot of lead downrange (not that that's a bad thing, just want to avoid some of the frustration).

What do you guys think?

You did a very nice job. Looks good.

Now I need a laser bore sighter to help get this at least on paper before I take it to the range otherwise I'll be throwing a lot of lead downrange (not that that's a bad thing, just want to avoid some of the frustration).

You can do it without a laser. Do you have stable cleaning craddle for a rifle? Like an MTM cleaning stand or something similar? Or anything that can hold the rifle steady, includling clamping it to a board or table. Take the rifle and the craddle outside. Put them on a sturdy surface. Remove the rear cover, recoil spring, bolt carrier and bolt from the action. By eye, bore sight the barrel to a distant object, about a 100 yards away, if possible. A tree. A car wheel. Whatever presents itself. You can even tape up a target to the distant object if that helps you see it better. Without disturbing the rifle, look through the peep site. See how far off it is. Adjust it. Repeat the process until looking through the peeop gives you approximately the same target location as viewing through the bore. Then fine tune it at the range.

I use this process with any site or scope and action where I can look directly through the bore. I use a tree stump in my neighbor's yard, about 90 yards out. Works every time. When I get to the range, I'm usually within a few inches of center at 100 yards, and can quickly get dialed in.

Last edited:
I cut a .22 bolt action rifle barrel down myself. The results were great. Accuracy was about the same, and the gun's handling and portability were greatly improved.

I used a hacksaw to make the card and then an oversized drill bit --maybe half inch -- to carefully just break the edge of the lands and grooves at the muzzle.

The result looks rather crude, but functions perfectly. I would not hesitate to do the same thing to an SKS except I don't think I'm capable of remounting the front sight assembly on the new shorter section of barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_5937.JPG
    IMG_5937.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 16
In the past, I can recall reading a number of articles on the Internet regarding DIY crown jobs; the majority were success stories.
Some involved the use of a ball bearing attached to a drill bit using valve grinding paste .... Hey, in college, one of my dorm-mates had a 7mm Mauser that he had "butcher-hacked-off" the barrel, attaching as nice scope on it, and used it to (successfully) hunt mountain goats in Mexico! Try GOOGLE ... there even a story about a guy who would do his shortening at the range so as to be able to keep "hacking" until he got the performance that he was looking for!

Back
Top Bottom