• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Re-Re Question....

I don't find it to be much of big deal to ream the pockets with a hand tool. It doesn't take any longer than deburring or chamferring. I like to do them in small batches, a couple hundred cases, where I ream and uniform the flash hole (same tool/same operation) as a first step, then uniform the pocket depth, which usually cleans the primer pocket as well. It only has to be done once, and then they go in a "prepped" box for whenever I get around to loading them. It's fairly mindless, and sometimes that suits my mental state. :)

New brass, once fired commercial brass, and friends that have brass and don't load is easily found now. Right after the 08 elections .223 brass and bullets were in short supply. I used an RCBS swagging tool for opening the pockets on about 1k of nickeled crimped brass. I had another 1k that I put in the recycle bin a while back. I got burned out fooling with it. Midway had nice new Lake City brass for less than $150.00/k. Someone must be selling Remington ammo cheap, because I've picked up a pile of it lately. It ain't crimped. Life too short to fool with the military stuff. If you a enough of it, take Fuelman's advice and send it off for processing, if not it's bringing $1.50/lb when I last checked at the recycler, and move on to the next project.

Gotta say I agree completely with the Chuckdog, I did exactly the same thing, still have the swagging tool, but;, like he said "Life's too short to fool with the military stuff". I just leave it lay, it's not worth my time when so much uncrimped commercial stuff is out there.

It's not hard to ream them, just attach the deburring tool to a drill and have at it, it's just an extra step. save that brass for the rainy winter days indoors with time on your hands. box'em up and put them in the free section, see how fast they get snapped up.

Back
Top Bottom