• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reaching for 1,000 yards

Kalei2418

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
52   0
Reaction score
Going to be heading to TN (Dead Zero Shooting) next weekend for a friend's birthday. Plan on hitting the range with my .308. Currently have a Vortex Diamondback 4-12. Just feel like the max magnification of that won't be enough to help hit the target.

Anyone have recommendations for one that might? I was looking at the 6-24 Diamondback, but saw a few negative reviews that have me questioning it.

Obviously the cheaper the option, the better. Looking to try to keep it under $600 after taxes/shipping.

Waiting for the scope snobs to drop in and tell you to stop being poor.

Without going outside of your budget - which many will suggest if this thread plays out like normal - you may want to consider this:

I have one but have not taken it to the range yet. And I'm no expert on scopes. But from what I've read online it should be the "foot in the door" to something that should get you to where you want to go at your price point.

Good luck with your decision!

Going to be heading to TN (Dead Zero Shooting) next weekend for a friend's birthday. Plan on hitting the range with my .308. Currently have a Vortex Diamondback 4-12. Just feel like the max magnification of that won't be enough to help hit the target.

Anyone have recommendations for one that might? I was looking at the 6-24 Diamondback, but saw a few negative reviews that have me questioning it.

Obviously the cheaper the option, the better. Looking to try to keep it under $600 after taxes/shipping.
For the money, this is an outstanding scope.\

It's what I have on a Rem 700 in .308 and I had no issues using the subtends in the reticle to get to 1,000 yards on a 2/3rd scale steel silhouette with a 100 yard zero. The EBR-2c reticle is good for wind hold values also.

Rem 700 308 with Viper PST FFP.jpg

Vortex 6-24 Power FFP EBR-2C MOA (or MRAD)

With RED shipping (free 2-day) and tax you'll come in $100 under your budget.

Hell, I'm unemployed and I'm sitting here about to pull the trigger on a second one the deal's so good.

Why not see what you can do with what you got?
Reticle is not the best for 1,000 yd shooting, 100 yard fixed parallax, 40mm objective lens, 12 powers of magnification is not going to be sufficient to read mirage at 800 - 1,000 yards, the critical "zone" for reading wind as the effect is exponential at that distance, I could go on. If he has a budget, I've given an excellent option in his price range with money to spare. I am speaking from experience with the optic I've recommended shooting at Talladega, Arena and just recently at Red, White & Blue Gun Range.

Reticle is not the best for 1,000 yd shooting, 100 yard fixed parallax, 40mm objective lens, 12 powers of magnification is not going to be sufficient to read mirage at 800 - 1,000 yards, the critical "zone" for reading wind as the effect is exponential at that distance, I could go on. If he has a budget, I've given an excellent option in his price range with money to spare. I am speaking from experience with the optic I've recommended shooting at Talladega, Arena and just recently at Red, White & Blue Gun Range.
Sounds like you have experience shooting at that distance. I do not.

I don't know what I don't know but I do believe it's too easy to spend a bunch of time analyzing specs and watching videos and never spending time behind the rifle to see what you can do with what you have is all I'm suggesting.

Sounds like you have experience shooting at that distance. I do not.

I don't know what I don't know but I do believe it's too easy to spend a bunch of time analyzing specs and watching videos and never spending time behind the rifle to see what you can do with what you have is all I'm suggesting.
Oh I know where you're coming from. I see folks spend money they don't need to and I don't like it either.

Back
Top Bottom