• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reaching for 1,000 yards

Maybe try an arken. I can't get behind them fully from the couple that Ive played with, but they seem to be a very popular budget option.

Gen 1 Viper PST can be had new around 450. Gen 2 Viper PST is on sale on and off pretty consistently for $650ish.

The venom is just a featureless strike eagle to save a few bucks. Not impressed with either for the price.

Like others said, quality wins out over magnification all day, everyday.

DD74E16F-8CC5-483D-85C3-E3476D54E224.png

Allow me to anger all the rifle/optic snobs:

Here is a sub MOA 1,000 yard group at Dead Zero range done with a $200 dollar peasant class Primary Arms 3-15 optic.

Does the 1k+ glass have more clarity? Yes. But to me, it’s personally not worth the price tag that comes with it.

I’ll put my money where my mouth is along with a shameless plug: I’m selling a Vortex Razor Gen2-E optic right now. The reason is that it’s performance against another optic half it’s price just doesn’t warrant the cost.

Don’t get me wrong, if money is no issue for you or it REALLY makes you happy owning Gucci gear (me too) then by all means.

All I’m trying to say here is that honestly, you don’t NEED it. You can get it done with more budget minded optics.

Attachments

• 9FA4D11E-6B18-4F33-B05B-CB3091924F09.png
    9FA4D11E-6B18-4F33-B05B-CB3091924F09.png
    221.5 KB · Views: 20
Going to be heading to TN (Dead Zero Shooting) next weekend for a friend's birthday. Plan on hitting the range with my .308. Currently have a Vortex Diamondback 4-12. Just feel like the max magnification of that won't be enough to help hit the target.

Anyone have recommendations for one that might? I was looking at the 6-24 Diamondback, but saw a few negative reviews that have me questioning it.

Obviously the cheaper the option, the better. Looking to try to keep it under $600 after taxes/shipping.
The 6-24x50 diamondback tactical is a fine scope for the price point. First focal plane, clear glass for the money. I've got one on a 6.5 and a 308. No, it's not a night force. But it's 399 on Amazon.

View attachment 4434391

Here is a sub MOA 1,000 yard group at Dead Zero range done with a $200 dollar peasant class Primary Arms 3-15 optic.

Does the 1k+ glass have more clarity? Yes. But to me, it’s personally not worth the price tag that comes with it.

I’ll put my money where my mouth is along with a shameless plug: I’m selling a Vortex Razor Gen2-E optic right now. The reason is that it’s performance against another optic half it’s price just doesn’t warrant the cost.

Don’t get me wrong, if money is no issue for you or it REALLY makes you happy owning Gucci gear (me too) then by all means.

All I’m trying to say here is that honestly, you don’t NEED it. You can get it done with more budget minded optics.
That is impressive

View attachment 4434391

No one ever said you couldn't hit 1k with cheaper optics. Better glass will make your life easier doing things like spotting misses, especially if you dont have a spotter walking you in. Better glass is more forgiving when shooting in heavy mirage, or low light or with night vision. Higher quality optics have more forgiving parallax saving time if you have to take a shot quick. More expensive optics are built tougher to hold zero and track true regardless of temperature, recoil or whatever sadistic stage a match director comes up with. If you are happy punching holes in paper at whatever range, at a range, at noon, from a bench then use whatever floats your boat. It'll get you there.

View attachment 4434391

Looks like you have a parallax issue.

No one ever said you couldn't hit 1k with cheaper optics. Better glass will make your life easier doing things like spotting misses, especially if you dont have a spotter walking you in. Better glass is more forgiving when shooting in heavy mirage, or low light or with night vision. Higher quality optics have more forgiving parallax saving time if you have to take a shot quick. More expensive optics are built tougher to hold zero and track true regardless of temperature, recoil or whatever sadistic stage a match director comes up with. If you are happy punching holes in paper at whatever range, at a range, at noon, from a bench then use whatever floats your boat. It'll get you there.

Agreed, my point is that budget options have come a long way and can definitely get the job done within reason. (NO tasco or sightmark, Primary Arms is probably lowest I’d go).

My main point is that you don’t need a premium tier, 1,000 dollar optic to bang steel at 1,000 yards. With solid shooting fundamentals a mid tier optic will do a lot more than one would think.

Agreed, my point is that budget options have come a long way and can definitely get the job done within reason. (NO tasco or sightmark, Primary Arms is probably lowest I’d go).

My main point is that you don’t need a premium tier, 1,000 dollar optic to bang steel at 1,000 yards. With solid shooting fundamentals a mid tier optic will do a lot more than one would think.
Maybe. Seen countless low tier optics fail. Including every single one of the chinese PA scopes I've ever seen. It's not just glass quality. It's a WHOLE LOT more. Mainly, tracking fails. Kinda a big deal if you dial. If you don't mind guesstimating and dialing and adjusting at various distances and have time to burn, I guess that's OK. And that failure usually shows itself in the form of the new shooter that was told the scope is jerst az guud getting extremely frustrated that they can't get hits. Well bud, your jerst az guud scope don't track.

But hey. I'm glad your scope worked for you that one time under perfect conditions

Back
Top Bottom