• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reaching for 1,000 yards

What you get with a better scope is: Visual clarity, you can't see it you can't hit it. More shooting time early and late. The measurements are more precise and at range, this is key. The turrets operate smoothly and predictable. The scope is tougher and will hold zero in extreme situations, this is paramount. Most scopes on this level also have unparalleled customer service. As expensive as ammo is today this is important. You don't have to break the bank, just buy the best scope you can afford and get a good deal. For me, I've been using Leupold for a while. So far, never let me down. Now I do use old Redfields and Nikon with good results, but not at super long range. Just as I mentioned, the adjustments aren't uniform. Leuplod is just middle of the road as far as hierarchy, not the best and not the worst. But predictable and durable quality that will last a lifetime

Going to be heading to TN (Dead Zero Shooting) next weekend for a friend's birthday. Plan on hitting the range with my .308. Currently have a Vortex Diamondback 4-12. Just feel like the max magnification of that won't be enough to help hit the target.

Anyone have recommendations for one that might? I was looking at the 6-24 Diamondback, but saw a few negative reviews that have me questioning it.

Obviously the cheaper the option, the better. Looking to try to keep it under $600 after taxes/shipping.
So here is my Burris XTR II at 1700 yards at 12 magnification. Easily could spot the 2500 targets with it. I went up to 20x trying to shoot the 1950 yards. You don’t need a lot of magnification to shoot far
2BF96BAE-5CF1-4470-B829-29FFBE5919AB.jpeg
2BF96BAE-5CF1-4470-B829-29FFBE5919AB.jpeg

So here is my Burris XTR II at 1700 yards at 12 magnification. Easily could spot the 2500 targets with it. I went up to 20x trying to shoot the 1950 yards. You don’t need a lot of magnification to shoot far View attachment 4434967View attachment 4434967

I like the XTR line. The only issue is the OPs budget was $600 and below.

I would do either the SWFA 10x with parallax adjustment or get an Arken. I got the Arken 5-25 EP5 recently, but haven’t messed with it yet. I got dealer pricing on it so with the value pack it was only $369 out the door. They also had a 30% off Father’s Day sale so they SH4 GENII we’re going for $300.

Not a fan of Chinese optics. All my stuff minus the Arken is LOW in Japan. But you’re paying $1000 and up for those scopes.

Guys get spun up on glass. Glass is important but it’s like 4th in my list of priorities. Ability to hold zero, weather proofing, tracking reliability and repeatability, and then glass.

Also there’s the PA GLX line and the Vortex Strike Eagle. The Strike looks like a decent scope. The GLX line had a lot of features but the turrets were mushy which bothered me so I sold it. The strike Eagle reminds me of a nicer EP5 mixed with the look of their AMG line.

Hey hey hey!! I took my SCAR 17S out at Dead Zero and hit a 1,000 yards with a 3.5x Trijicon ACOG!! :fencing: :fencing: :boink: :boink: :caked: :caked:

Buy the best quality glass you can, regardless of magnification. I've seen a scar walked out to 1k with a 6x Elcan. I've seen many people struggle with 30 or 40x Chinese wonder scopes.

As others have stated, you get what you pay for.
Spend your money on a good brand and model. I've seen those Bushnell DMRii's for $700 new and are good for the money if you add the extra $100. Trijicon had some scopes marked down on EuroOptic last week might be gone. But buy once cry once.

Back
Top Bottom