• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Real estate rant..... ************!

we bought our "retirement" home in Barrow in late 2012. Taxes were less than $500/year then. Just got 2022 tax bill, its right at $1000. But the county says the house value is up about 120%, so I guess that is about right. I worry about my retirement accounts going in the toilet, buy my real estate is going great. BUT...if I sell a house and pocket a nice profit, I still have to live somewhere.

We are selling our house in the next month. Wife is working a detail at MYR airport and will get it permanent within the next 3 months. I can retire on August 3rd. Time to take the cash, rent for 3 years until the wife retires, then head to lake Eufaula for retirement. We will make a nice profit from when we bought the place in 2012. If anyone is interested, PM me. 3/2 on a full basement, 2396 sq ft. 1400 sq ft garage, 27.44 acres, Spalding county.

That's a gross oversimplification. We don't want more traffic, it is bad enough. We don't want more stop lights. We don't want higher taxes to pay for more schools and endless neverending road construction to deal with the influx, we don't want to deal with redistricting our kids, we think the grocery store is crowded enough, there's plenty of land already zoned R1 that you can go develop, why come into my community and work to rezone when you have plenty of other R1 available for your ventures. It has nothing to do with "not wanting new people" as normal turnover in a community has people coming and going all the time these days. It's about not wanting more people for many legitimate tangible reasons.

You forgot that we also dont want low income apartments and cheap housing that brings in the riffraff.

Yep, this is what I mean. Interest rate hikes will slow things down when they do the .75-1.0 percent raises like they say they will. They are already doing.50 increments.
But most of the industry folks don’t think it will come crashing down

I've been attempting a relocation for the last 6 months. I assumed at the time the RE market had peaked. WRONG! It's gotten steadily worse.
Real kick in the gut this week. Put another offer in on a home. NOTHING like what we initially said we wanted (home on acreage in the boonies) but at this point, I'm just tired of it all and want to get there and get it done.
So we offered, all cash, $16k ABOVE asking, NO inspection/option period or inspection contingency, free leaseback, etc... etc.... I couldn't believe I was actually doing that :dizzy: but here is the stats from the listing agent.
We ended up with 35 showings and 17 offers in 3 days.
The lowest offer we received was $11k above asking.
11 offers were $xxx,xxx ($55k above asking) or more.
8 offers were cash.
Only 3 offers included a home warranty
The highest option fees were $500
Only 1 offer had a 10 day option period, the rest were 3-7 days.
4 offers waived the option period
10 offers included buyer paying title policy (expensive there)
all 17 offers included buyer paying for survey
4 offers had full appraisal waiver
3 offers had partial appraisal waiver
2 offers had no appraisal waiver.

Stuff I passed on 6 months ago because I thought it was too expensive is now another $100k. Insanity doesn't begin to describe it. :shocked:
I’m already looking at relocating out of the u.s.

Back
Top Bottom