• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Real world pistol caliber shooting data. Worth a read, or a re-read.

Triathloncoach

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
201   0
Reaction score
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

I posted this in another thread and someone commented that it might be interesting to post this as a stand alone thread.

It's an easy read, interesting and it's funny.

Someone commented in the other thread regarding the one shot stopping power of relatively small calibers that made me smirk and nod in agreement. "It appears that after most people are shot, they don't want to get shot again" ☺ You are both astute and clever, who ever you are.

A good expanding bullet with reliable penetration and accurate shot placement is all that matter to me. I've skimmed over lots of these studies and when you only look at well placed shots with an expanding bullet you see little difference between calibers.

With that in mind the 9mm is the obvious choice :cool:

That article/ study pops up from time to time.

While the database is a bit small the results aren't really surprising.

Once the ballistics experts & the training community started getting broader data from actual shootings the general conclusions that were drawn were:

A round has a much better chance of stopping someone faster if it has enough power to penetrate through clothing & tissue/bone/cartilage into the chest cavity & damage/ pierce arteries, the CNS, & vital organs.
Adequate penetration is more important than bullet diameter.

Just like in a car the human body utilizes pressurized fluid to operate. If there is a hole in the fuel line or radiator hose or driving computer.... or artery, vein, lung, liver, etc. is 9mm or 10mm (the .40 cal. bullet diameter) doesn't really matter that much.

Bullet placement is critical in all calibers.

Bullet design is important.... specifically hollowpoints that cut/ tear flesh work better than FMJ's.... something hunters have known for years which is why hunters are so selective about their bullet choice.

Pistol bullets all perform marginally when compared to rifles/ shotguns.
There is no "magic" bullet.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

I posted this in another thread and someone commented that it might be interesting to post this as a stand alone thread.

It's an easy read, interesting and it's funny.

Someone commented in the other thread regarding the one shot stopping power of relatively small calibers that made me smirk and nod in agreement. "It appears that after most people are shot, they don't want to get shot again" ☺ You are both astute and clever, who ever you are.
being shot is as much psychological as it is a physical experience...survival instinct and shot placement are key to surviving a gun shot..

Back
Top Bottom