• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rearview mirror falling off!

joewilly

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
261   0
Reaction score
The rearview mirror on my wife's 2008 Ford Escape fell off last week. I have tried the Permatex adhesive kit they sell, and it lasted about 2 days and fell off again. I followed all the instructions and put it on again, and it lasted around 2 days. A Ford mechanic tells me they see the same problem with Ford's coming into their shop for service. (He said to buy a new windshield - I don't think so!!!) I'm thinking about trying the Loctite adhesive kit they sell for rearview mirrors. Maybe buy a new tab (bracket) that the mirror slides onto and try that? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a 92 f150 doing the same thing and I did buy a new windshield. Thinking I may need to drill a pilot hole and screw the thing on. I imagine ford did this because they assume everyone will pass you and you won't need a rearview mirror cause they will all be in front of you.

I had it happen on a 95 Mustang. Used 0000 steel wool to clean the windshield before applying the aftermarket adhesive. It's still hanging (nephew has the car now.)

Clean with a solvent. I used to run a DriveCam program and the cameras are fairly heavy. When the brackets feel of the screen we tried most things, but in the end I just told people to buy a new bracket, the best solution for us.

Gave messed with that junk since Carter was pres, will never get anyone but a glass shop to do it now.

While you are buying the likem-stickem, get a lottery ticket, too. It just may be your lucky day. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom