• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rebates on Wal-Mart ARs

I'll have to check my two local ones tomorrow but this is probably just a money thing.

http://www.guns.com/2015/06/25/sena...lling-assault-weapons-amid-flag-debate-video/

Although Wal-Mart does not release sales figures for firearms, Time Business estimates the company sold between 1,700 to 1,800 guns in 2013 from its nearly 4,000 stores nationwide (about a third which carry AR-15 rifles).

If I'm reading this right, they sold about one gun for every two stores operating in a year. That number is probably up since 2013 but still, doesn't seem like a big moneymaker for them. And now that the scare is over and the market is flooded, they're sitting on tons of merchandise and can't move it at normal prices. They've probably sold more AR-15's in the past 24 hours than they've sold in the past two years.

True B boxer90 .... Who's gonna buy a Bushmaster for $1000 otd at Walmart when they can get it at the local gun store or online for $600? Their pricing is close to retail on these guns...

The money right now is in pistols. That's what they need to bring back in....

True B boxer90 .... Who's gonna buy a Bushmaster for $1000 otd at Walmart when they can get it at the local gun store or online for $600? Their pricing is close to retail on these guns...

The money right now is in pistols. That's what they need to bring back in....
Wouldn't hold my breath for WM to bring in pistols. They are way too concerned about their public reputation for that. Too bad.

Wouldn't hold my breath for WM to bring in pistols. They are way too concerned about their public reputation for that. Too bad.

I think they could get away with a select number of models. Traditional "hunting" pistols. No Glocks or anything like that, but I can't see many objections over selling friendly looking revolvers, single shots like the Contender guns, etc. My aunt's husband is a longtime Clinton Democrat type and even he went out and bought a Taurus revolver a few years ago, so even to liberals those guns aren't that scary.

But it's a far cry from 20-25 years ago. Pretty much every firearm my grandfather owns (minus the few he's purchased in the past five years) came from Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Roses, the local Hardware store, Western Auto, or an Army/Navy store. Most Army/Navy stores I know of don't sell guns anymore, Western Auto isn't around, K-Mart stopped selling, Roses hasn't sold a gun for nearly as long as I've been living, and if your local town still has a family hardware store, they probably don't sell guns.

Wal-Mart is really going down the tube anyway. They're looking more and more like Sears. Now if Dollar General would start selling guns and ammo, I wouldn't have a reason to go in a Wal-Mart at all.

Back
Top Bottom