Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. 10 Year Anniversary Gun Show & Swap Meet - August 29 - Click here for tickets and click here for info!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  3. Featured Listings are working again! Feature your listing on every page for $3 a day! Click here for all the info.
    Dismiss Notice

Rec Tec

Thread in 'Cooking & Recipes' started by Tactical Mad Dawg, May 8, 2020.

1. Tactical Mad Dawg

Tactical Mad Dawg ODT Junkie!

149   0

Rating
    100%
    Looking to upgrade from my 22 series Treager and have focused on the Rec Tec 590. Anyone using a Rec Tec currently? If so what’s your thoughts on them.

2. dcline9163

dcline9163 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

535   0

Rating
    100%
    You're going to love it, I promise. Very good smokers.

Allsmiles likes this.
  3. Allsmiles

Allsmiles The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

104   0

Rating
    100%
    I've gone thru about 700lbs or so of pellets in my 680. You will love it and get the extra shelf that goes with it. Customer service is top notch also. Worth the drive to the store to pick up and also get your pellets on a discount as there is no shipping. BTW, they have the Treager grills set up side by side to compare with.

dcline9163 likes this.
  4. dcline9163

dcline9163 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

535   0

Rating
    100%
    I'll second this.

5. Dawgbrain

Dawgbrain Frontiersman Supporter

Supporter

57   0

Rating
    100%
    I bought 3 RecTecs in 2014 for myself and a couple of business partners. I have upgraded the controller to the newer wifi model and definitely like the pulse fan option it gives. I haven't found the temp monitors to be accurate and don't rely on them. I don't know if the new models come with the ceramic igniter but that was another worthwhile upgrade. We started with 1200 lbs of rec tec pellets, like Allsmiles said, they will give you a deal with your smoker. At the time Rec Tec was re-branding someone else's pellets but I think they have their own pellet facility now.

A couple of years ago I bought a 2000lb pallet of 100% red oak pellets through Tractor Supply that were made by Ozark Wood Products. They were technically heating pellets but I called the manufacturer and confirmed that they were 100% oak and only used natural paraffin binders. They were great pellets and cost $5/40 lb bag but Tractor Supply carries a different brand now. Their new supplier doesn't guarantee 100% hardwood.

6. Tactical Mad Dawg

Tactical Mad Dawg ODT Junkie!

149   0

Rating
    100%
    Thanks for the info. Looks like I’ll be making that 2.5 hour drive and picking one up.

7. jeshoffstall

jeshoffstall Frontiersman Supporter

Supporter

50   0

Rating
    100%
    You won't regret it - going on 4 yrs and it does not disappoint. They post some great videos as well.

8. Openspaces

Openspaces Lifetime Supporter Supporter

Supporter

52   0

Rating
    100%
    Had my 590 since Xmas of 2019. I had an initial issue with the damage during shipping but they had a replacement sent ASAP. (Customer service is fantastic) Overall really happy with it. One note: the app is a little buggy. Mostly works but maybe don't factor full value of the app into your purchase decision.