• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rechargeable Silica Gel Packet Desiccants to store ammo?

araomd

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
59   0
Reaction score
Has anybody used these packets in their ammo cans? These get good online reviews. Does anyone recommend another brand?

How often do you open your cans to check and see if the desiccant needs to be recharged if you seal them in ammo cans with a good gasket? Seems like the more you check the more humidity gets in.

Do you also put oxygen absorbers in also? Are they necessary for ammo in cans?

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Indicating-Silica-Packets-Desiccants/dp/B01LVUR9V0/

I buy the blue in bulk (Dry&Dry about $40 a gallon on Ebay) and use about a cup or so in a sock with a knot and seal it in a 50cal ammo can with more more for bigger cans

I usually open it after about three months and if it’s still blue I reseal it and forget about it forever

If it’s pink - the can may leak or there may have been a lot of moisture in the packaging of the ammo so I’ll try it again with blue pellets *keep in mind the can may leak somewhere other than the lid seal

Pink pellets Can be recharged to blue in an oven on a cookie sheet in a couple of hours with the oven set on 200° and the door left cracked open

You can buy silica kitty litter really cheap at any store, it is a lot cheaper then the packets. To test a seal of an Ammo can get a white piece of chalk and draw a line around the seal, and close it. If there are gaps you will see where the chalk didn’t transfer to the other side

i use these from the dollar store. for $12 / year my safe stays nice and dry.
144947.jpg

Back
Top Bottom