• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reciprocity OR Constitutional Carry Maps

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
So, the most recent edition of the NRA's magazine about gun rights (called America's First Freedom) has this little map showing all of the states that have passed constitutional carry --no permit required.

Many of these states already had reciprocity and would recognize a Georgia weapons carry license as being valid when you visit there, but now "reciprocity" is not necessary in those specific states.

7CAF1A47-2955-4674-A08D-22E984B68B1D.jpeg

Compare that to this reciprocity map ---or more correctly a map of states that will recognize a Georgia weapons carry license --- copy from handgunlaw.us, which is a very useful website for checking reciprocity and researching issues of traveling interstate with a firearm.

7A4ACF0D-9CFA-4D04-838D-E95C12434FA9.jpeg

Be careful -- I'm not positive, but I think GA still requires out-of-state visitors to have their own states' permits to enjoy reciprocity in GA. Same might be true of other states, I don't know. Here's a reciprocity photo with GA resident and FL nonresident permits (credit to the CCW iPhone app). I got the FL permit because I sometimes travel to DE. MD is the only obstacle, but it's not too hard to comply as I go through.

IMG_8136.PNG

Be careful -- I'm not positive, but I think GA still requires out-of-state visitors to have their own states' permits to enjoy reciprocity in GA. Same might be true of other states, I don't know. Here's a reciprocity photo with GA resident and FL nonresident permits (credit to the CCW iPhone app). I got the FL permit because I sometimes travel to DE. MD is the only obstacle, but it's not too hard to comply as I go through.

View attachment 4307010

My understanding is, any citizen that is legal to carry in their home state, can carry in GA.

GA SB319

(2.1) 'Lawful weapons carrier' means any person who is licensed or eligible for a license pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129 and who is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing a weapon or long gun, any resident of any other state who would otherwise be eligible to obtain a license pursuant to such Code section but for the residency requirement, and any person licensed to carry a weapon in any other state."

People often mix/ confused Constitutional Carry with Permit-less Carry.

A state with Permit-less carry still has stipulations. Such as Tennessee, where the law says, in order to carry Permit-less the person can't have a DUI within the last 10 years. I'm not sure of every state law but it's important to check if a state is Constitutional or Permit-less carry.

Georgia Terrapin,

***** EDITED ***** OK, I see now that your screen shot is based on you having both a GA carry permit and a FL non-resident carry permit.

With those, you can travel legally while armed in more states than most of us can,
with only a GWL.

My understanding is, any citizen that is legal to carry in their home state, can carry in GA.

GA SB319

(2.1) 'Lawful weapons carrier' means any person who is licensed or eligible for a license pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129 and who is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing a weapon or long gun, any resident of any other state who would otherwise be eligible to obtain a license pursuant to such Code section but for the residency requirement, and any person licensed to carry a weapon in any other state."

People often mix/ confused Constitutional Carry with Permit-less Carry.

A state with Permit-less carry still has stipulations. Such as Tennessee, where the law says, in order to carry Permit-less the person can't have a DUI within the last 10 years. I'm not sure of every state law but it's important to check if a state is Constitutional or Permit-less carry.
I stand corrected. Thanks! :-)

It seems that Nevada issues nonresident carry permits via online application,

BUT they expect you to have done the mandAtory training class in Nevada.
(At least under normal conditions; maybe COVID-19 would have prompted them to accept virtual learning / remote learning for those classes?)

Back
Top Bottom