Recoil

Do you like recoil in guns

• Total voters

mfoster

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
86   0
Reaction score
I simply do not like it.when I was a young fellow I always thought the harder it kicked the more powerful it was.to a degree that’s true unless you start flinching every shot.

I don't mind some recoil, but I'd rather not shoot a gun with harsh recoil. Worst recoil I've ever experienced was a 30-06.

I don't remember the make or model of the gun, but the gun itself was the problem, not the caliber or ammo used. Some guy had brought 2 rifles into the store I worked at to get the scopes zeroed, no idea why since our range was only 50 feet.

Both rifles were chambered in 30-06. If I recall correctly one had a wood stock and the other had synthetic, but weight was pretty similar. Same ammo was used in both rifles. Wood stock gun's recoil wasn't too bad and I didn't mind shooting it.

The one with the synthetic stock was like getting hit in the shoulder with a sledgehammer. I immediately put it down and went looking for some kind of cushion or padding to put between me and the stock and I was still dreading every subsequent shot. My shoulder hurt for a week.

I've shot lightweight 300wm's that didn't recoil anywhere near as bad as that one particular 30-06.

Reactions: GFB
I’ve never really minded the recoil, I had a Marlin .45-70 govt that kicked like a mule but it was freakin’ accurate as hell so it really didn’t bother me. Now my Granddad had a really old Winchester 16 ga that kicked a lot worse than most 12 ga I’ve shot, that SOB HURT! lol The worst recoil I think I’ve ever experienced was a Mossberg 12 ga turkey gun with a 20” barrel that only weighed about 5 lbs, 3” mag Remington Nitro shells for turkeys in that gun were awful. I shot one round and sold that sumbish. Felt like Mike Tyson caught me with a left hook right under my eye on the cheekbone, I’ve shot 3 1/2” magnum shells and once shot a 10 ga that didn’t have that kinda recoil. Had a .270 with a lightweight synthetic stock once that would get your attention right quick. lol!

I don't mind some recoil, but I'd rather not shoot a gun with harsh recoil. Worst recoil I've ever experienced was a 30-06.

I don't remember the make or model of the gun, but the gun itself was the problem, not the caliber or ammo used. Some guy had brought 2 rifles into the store I worked at to get the scopes zeroed, no idea why since our range was only 50 feet.

Both rifles were chambered in 30-06. If I recall correctly one had a wood stock and the other had synthetic, but weight was pretty similar. Same ammo was used in both rifles. Wood stock gun's recoil wasn't too bad and I didn't mind shooting it.

The one with the synthetic stock was like getting hit in the shoulder with a sledgehammer. I immediately put it down and went looking for some kind of cushion or padding to put between me and the stock and I was still dreading every subsequent shot. My shoulder hurt for a week.

I've shot lightweight 300wm's that didn't recoil anywhere near as bad as that one particular 30-06.
I have a Remy 700 BDL in 30-06. It has a wood stock and only has about a 1/8 inch black hard plastic stock pad if you want to call it that. I swear that gun is like shoudering a howitzer. Instant pain and but I don't shoot it anymore. Last time I sent three rounds down range it bruised my shoulder and you see the word Remington stamped into my skin and stayed there for a week.. I have been looking for buttm stock pad that's a direct fit so I can shoot it again. I hate those slip on jobs. They look terrible.

Back
Top Bottom