• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommend a dodge, Chrysler, jeep mechanic? 02 LIBERTY

Is the repair bill going to exceed the value of the vehicle ?

We bought a pretty nice 4wd 01 Liberty a couple of years ago for $650

Surprisingly it’s been a pretty reliable car . Which I was not expecting from a fiat dodge jeep .
An 01 is a Daimler product, made before fiat bastardized the Jeep,Chrysler and dodge model lines

Is the repair bill going to be less than the cost of a replacement vehicle? I never understood the attitude that vehicles were disposable once repairs got expensive. Especially whit the extremely high costs of new and used cars these days.
It's not that they are "disposable", it's that at some point the cost of repairs simply makes no mathematical sense. Per the OP this is the second time he's having to do this. It's an '02 Liberty. It was bought with a blown head gasket so presumably for cheap. In a normal market it wouldn't make sense. In this market, who knows.

It's not that they are "disposable", it's that at some point the cost of repairs simply makes no mathematical sense. Per the OP this is the second time he's having to do this. It's an '02 Liberty. It was bought with a blown head gasket so presumably for cheap. In a normal market it wouldn't make sense. In this market, who knows.
In most any market the repairs cost less than a new vehicle. It’s a matter of how one wants to spend their money. A person can have an awful lot of work done to a vehicle for the cost of even a entry level vehicle.

In most any market the repairs cost less than a new vehicle. It’s a matter of how one wants to spend their money. A person can have an awful lot of work done to a vehicle for the cost of even a entry level vehicle.
Of course, in any one year. But a new vehicle should be repair free for many years and will always be worth more. If you dump thousands in a used vehicle every year because "it's cheaper than buying new", you're doing it wrong.

Of course, in any one year. But a new vehicle should be repair free for many years and will always be worth more. If you dump thousands in a used vehicle every year because "it's cheaper than buying new", you're doing it wrong.
Am I doing it wrong? If the bottom line means less money spent annually how is that wrong,

Am I doing it wrong? If the bottom line means less money spent annually how is that wrong,
You are sinking money into a worthless asset. Having said that, I drive a 20 year old truck most days. But in those 20 years I haven't spent even $1k on all "repairs" combined. All 3 vehicles I own have over 100k on them. In the last 12 months, total cost of repairs on all three = $0. When that starts to materially change, I'll buy new vehicles to replace them.

You are sinking money into a worthless asset. Having said that, I drive a 20 year old truck most days. But in those 20 years I haven't spent even $1k on all "repairs" combined. All 3 vehicles I own have over 100k on them. In the last 12 months, total cost of repairs on all three = $0. When that starts to materially change, I'll buy new vehicles to replace them.
I think it’s pretty obvious that we are talking past each other.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom