• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommend a Ladies' Shotgun

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a 28 gauge shotgun for women and kids to use.
Not a 20, at least not in any type of action other than semi-auto. I've taken women and kids shooting with pump, break-open, and bolt-action 20 gauge shotguns, and I get a lot of complaints about recoil. Even with light trap and dove & quail loads with low-brass #8 birdshot, 2.75" chamber shells.

So, I think my first choice would be a 28 gauge.
I'll deal with the ammo expense and reduced availability in exchange for giving newbies a good first experience with shotgunning.

PREFERABLY a semi-auto. Not only to further reduce felt recoil, but also to keep things simple for beginners. Once the gun's ready, just point it and press the trigger. For the second shot, press again. So pump-actions are not top on my list, although I love them for experienced shooters like myself.

SO, WHAT'S A DECENT SEMI-AUTO 28 gauge that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

I see that Mossberg puts their brand name on a gun made in Turkey, the SA-28, that is in the $450 price range, and is a semi-auto 28 bore that can be found in both full sized versions and youth / lady / bantam / compact versions.

I see that Tristar (also a Turkish brand) has a 28 gauge semi-auto, in a similar price. Although that one is only offered in full adult size, not youth size with a shorter length of pull from the trigger to the butt.

What other options are there?

Do any of y'all own, or have personally used, an inexpensive 28 gauge shotgun of the semi-auto design?

How about an over/under? Savage Stevens 555 compact looks like a good option, too, though it's priced more in the $550 price range.

"I get a lot of complaints about recoil. Even with light trap and dove & quail loads with low-brass #8 birdshot, 2.75" chamber shells."

Perhaps shotgunning isn't for them. All shotguns have recoil, even .410s. Try teaching them to shoot 22lr rifles.

A 28ga is going to be expensive, ammo hard to find, and throws a pattern inferior to a 20 ga.

I have one of the Turkish made 20 ga semi-autos, and it is a joy to shoot, but I have shot thousands of shotgun rounds, mostly 12 ga. Try one of those, they are roughly based on the Rem 1100 action and walmart has them for cheap.

I would go with a .410 double. A bit more economical to shoot than the 28. If you are schooling shooters or in an environment where there are people, a double with the action broke open is pretty safe to carry and it’s condition is easily observed.

I've got a Weatherby SA-08 Deluxe Semi in 28ga. and love it. Beautiful lightweight gun that handles very well.

It should run around $650... if you can find one.

Back
Top Bottom