• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommend a Range Finder

I’ve got a Simmons volt 600
Runs off a 9v.
4x magnification.
Sub $100
Two seasons and no issues.

C67AAF8E-C0CC-419B-B2E4-71F0FE225B1D.jpeg

I don't own one, but I borrowed a friend's for one weekend to mark the distances of some trees from my hunting blind. Before we did that, we tested it at "known" 100 and 200 yard distances, which I had previously measured with kite string that had been measured by me in my garage with a tape measure, marking every 10 yard increment out to 200 yards.
My friend's laser rangefinder, which I think was advertised as good to 500 yards, and only cost $100, was dead-on with my string measured 100 yards and only 2 yards off on the longer range (it showed 202 when my string had said 200 even).

We then used it to identify and mark a few trees in the hunting area with some bits of florescent tape of different colors.
The rangefinder had no trouble reading distances of up to 100 yards, aiming it at the bark of tree trunks. Or rocks, even moss-covered rocks. I "think" it would have been fine at much longer distances, but that spot offered no long shots on game in any direction.

Bottom line: A cheap laser rangefinder can work pretty well.

I have a leupold 1000 haven’t been able to shoot past 600, I think they all shoot less than what they say unless you go high dollar.

My Leupold rangefinder stopped working after 3+ years. I called and sent it to them to see if it could be repaired. Leupold sent a brand new one that was two steps up from the model I had purchased. Excellent customer service.

Back
Top Bottom