• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommend to me a powder for 9mm

mo mauser

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to load 115 plated projectiles in my Dillon 550 for 9mm. I'venot bought the powder yet. I've not loaded this combo before and am looking for recommendations for a clean burning powder that is bulky enough that I'm less inclined to over charge. I've not loaded 9mm at all and only rifle on my Dillon thus far. Thanks

HS-6 is a good bulky powder. Unique is another but it is dirtier. My favorite is vihtavuori N-320 but it is expensive. Meters well in my 550 and is soft shooting and burns clean.

I too use 231/HP38. They are the same thing.

Why? Cheap, and used to be readily available. Works with a wide range of cartridges, 9mm, .40, .45, .38, etc.

Cleaner than some (firing residue). Dirtier than some.

However, you won't find one that meets one of your criteria, well, at least in the simplest form. None of the powders in general use will fill the case halfway up, so that it overflows if you double charge. Pretty much all of them will fill it up enough that a double charge is very obvious IF YOU LOOK. I suggest strongly that you get a spotlight, or an LED reading lamp, and position it to shine directly into the case on that station. I felt a lot better after I set that up and trained myself to always look. 25K+ and counting, with no squibs and no doubles.

Usually I'm not leaning over to look, but can see the powder reflected in the case wall. If I were to see powder, that would be really bad.

You will make mistakes when you stop; almost never when you are rolling along. Anytime you stop, you must carefully recheck everything. I don't have TV, radio, phone, kids, wife, dog, etc. anywhere near me when reloading. I can check my phone while I'm refilling primer tubes.

Back
Top Bottom