• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommend to me a powder for 9mm

There is no bad powder. everyone will tell you their cookbook requires <fill in the blank>.

it comes down to a few things for me:
1) are you running a silencer? If yes...CFE Pistol
2) can you get the same powder later on? if not...stick to what is readily available. I read someone said clays. It;s great powder. good luck finding it.
3) are you experienced reloader? if no...stay away from titegroup. Titegroup is low volume and fast burning. you can literally double + charge a case by accident. then u just blew something up or caused some injury.
4) what press do you have? Dillon doesn't meter 700x well. 700x is a very good economical powder. Metering is an issue
5) Do you load other calibers? WSF is good for FMJ 9mm 115gr but there is no load data for berry's copper coated bullets. WSF is wonderful for 40 and 45 cap. Just not enough data for certain 9mm loads. You can go unique. it's a lot like WSF.

many powders that will work, Unique and the dot powders generally do not meter that well, unique is bulky enough that double charges are almost impossible but can be a pain to charge.
myself I use HS-6, Accurate #5, accurate #5 can pretty much be loaded mild or wild but even in the mild load is clean and performs very well, it also produces very good performance.
Hp-38/ Win 231 meters well and is fairly clean and likely one of the most used in 9 MM/ 380/ 38 Spl.
I use HS-6 or Accurate #5 in the 9 MM, 38 Super, 10 MM, 45 acp, so its versatile as well.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/burnrates.asp

You (OP) stated 115 Plated bullets. So, keep them light--under 1200fps.

The faster powders mentioned will be best. I.E.: Bullseye, TiteGroup, W231, HP38, 700X, AA#2, RedDot -it fills the case but is dirty, Clays-good case volume and clean, and a ton of others.

Anything in the first 45 of the list above should work.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/burnrates.asp

You (OP) stated 115 Plated bullets. So, keep them light--under 1200fps.

The faster powders mentioned will be best. I.E.: Bullseye, TiteGroup, W231, HP38, 700X, AA#2, RedDot -it fills the case but is dirty, Clays-good case volume and clean, and a ton of others.

Anything in the first 45 of the list above should work.

I like that list and printed it out years ago, saved me time and time again when powder was scarce.

Back
Top Bottom