• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommendation for a new gun owner

My girlfriend bought a G26 for the small size and hates how fat and short the grip is. it makes it very hard for her to get a solid grip on the gun, and as such she is not confortable shooting it. She does fine with my 1911, P238, P250, and Taurus 24/7 but the G26 just doesnt do it for her.

So, maybe take them to a range or a gun shop and have them "test drive" some different pistols and see what they both like the best. Chances are, it wont be the same gun, but they will probably find something they are both conformable with.

I think we will be doing that this weekend jsquared. He has shot most of mine including the 229 dark elite, 238, Xd40, benelli tac 12ga and my Sig 556 and has done fine with all of them so I know he can handle just about whatever...his gf however Im not sure of.

Either way it has certainly got me in the buying mood again and I will start my search for a G23c!

I am with Bryan on this one. I would go with a revolver, .357. I am partial to Smith's, but in the price range you stated, there are several that would fit in that range. The reason for suggesting the .357 is that you can shoot +P .38's and the recoil is not that unpleasant. If it is not going to be carried, and weight is not an issue, my choice would be a revolver. Training with a revolver is "easier", according to my wife, than with a semi-auto. +P's in a .357 is a good deterent. Just my 2cents.

SR9/SR9c - I think someone new to guns will appreciate the safety. BUT an auto should only be recommended if they are willing to learn how to use it properly.

For a "load it and forget it" type owner, go with a Ruger sp101 .357 revolver. Simple point and click operation, no mag springs to weaken, fewer controls/levers/buttons, easy for the wife to load (many women have a hard time properly racking the slide), ability to shoot lower recoil .38 specials. If I were forced to own only one gun, it would be a .357 revolver, yet oddly I don't own one right now.

I was thinking about going to Bullseye in Lawrenceville on Saturday night (depends on if I can get a pass from the wife). I'd have a Ruger GP100 in .357 with me if your brother wants to try it out. The SP101 is smaller and lighter so it may not be a fair test but he could get a feel for a revolver. It's my favorite gun to shoot. I think the posters above hit most of the virtues of a .357 revolver already. It's a well rounded gun and a classic so the value is pretty stable too.

Bullseye has a ton of other guns to rent too.
http://www.bullseyeindoorrange.com/

i;d go with a g17 or 19 since it's a bedside gun. it will be much more likely to have some range time put in and them get comfortable with it.
I disagree with the "get a revolver; it's easier" arguement. The trigger pull is so long and tough that a lot of people can't get one on target.
i agree that they BOTH need to go to the range and try out a few and see what works best for them.

I think we will be doing that this weekend jsquared. He has shot most of mine including the 229 dark elite, 238, Xd40, benelli tac 12ga and my Sig 556 and has done fine with all of them so I know he can handle just about whatever...his gf however Im not sure of.

Either way it has certainly got me in the buying mood again and I will start my search for a G23c!

hey rdogger, if your not 100% set on a G23C, you can get a G32C for $375 from Mark over at www.summitgunbroker.com he also has G31C pistols i think...you can always get a barrel to shoot 40 s&w out of it.

The best advice is to "test drive" a few as earlier mentioned. But if you're looking for an opinion, I'd go with the Smith M&P9C. They come with interchangeable backstraps that allow you to customize the grip size. I love my full size M&P9.

Back
Top Bottom