• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommendation for a new gun owner

From Winchester
“The PDX1 410′s three flying discs penetrate eight to ten inches into 10 percent ballistic gel from seven to 15 feet,” Senior Product Manager Brad Criner told TTAG. “The BBs penetrate four to six inches at the same distance
From FBI

FBI Ballistic Test Protocol:

Briefly, the performance standards are simple. A handgun bullet must consistently penetrate a minimum of 12 inches of tissue in order to reliably penetrate vital organs within the human target regardless of the angle of impact or intervening obstacles such as arms, clothing, glass, etc. Penetration of 18 inches is even better.
As I said, great for crows or snakes, heck load some 45LC in it and it is ok at best for human targets.

Last edited:
I understand that it is not the ideal manstopper. I will just say that 3 10" penetrating hits and 12 4-6" penetrating hits on an assailant are better than an 18" penetrating hit on the drywall. I would guess that the majority of home defense guns are not practiced with on a regular basis and never from a dead sleep in the dark.

test drive one first b4 buying. First gun I bought was a 1st Gen G17. Through the years I have settled on my Sig P220 single action 45 as my favorite 45 along with my M&P 9C as my favorite 9mm. I do like Glock as a "first" handgun to purchase as it is easy to take down and clean plus they are fun to shoot. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom