• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommendations for Medium Duty Chain Saw?

I could be wrong as well. But stihl makes a saw that you pull the start cord almost effortlessly for 2 or so times, press a button and it spins the motor.
I say heck no. More junk to fail. Keep your saw maintained and only use rec gas with good mix. No cheap stuff and most saws start easy.

Yeah I've seen that one. Looked like a gimmick to me, but I never really looked into that much.

I had a McCulloch "Eager Beaver" chain saw (small-- I think it had a 14" bar) for 10 years, 1994-2004.
It ran fine up until it died. I felled a few small trees with it and pruned hundreds of branches and cut down many bushes and shrubs with it.

Then I had a Homelite 45 cc chainsaw with 18 bar from 2005- present. It still runs, BUT the spring mechanism that rewinds the pull cord is broken. If I manually wind it up and pull it, it starts on the 3rd or 4th try when cold, and 1st pull when warm. This saw has seen several weekends of heavy use-- cutting down 60 foot tall, 20" diameter trees, making 20" logs to later split for firewood, trimming all limbs to 4 ft. lengths.

My brother has a lot more experience than I do, going back 40 years.
He swears that STIHL is the best saw for a reasonable price.

However, I must say that I only piad $99 for my Eager Beaver, and only $150 for my Homelite.
I couldn't find a STIHL for under $300 when I was shopping for saws back in 2005, so I opted not to pay "twice as much" for a chainsaw. So far, I think I did OK. But we'll see. I've got to get that pull-cord spring assembly fixed, or I'll be shopping for chainsaws soon enough myself.

For heavy cutting I use a husky 455 rancher, bad to the bone!
For smaller jobs, I have a 20 yr old poulan wild thing.
Both work great! Just made for different purposes.

My 20 year old Wild Thing started acting up last summer.

I'm sure it just needs new lines and possibly a carb or rebuild as it doesn't get used much.

If I was buying today and willing to spend more, I'd get a Stihl Farm Boss.

You get what you pay for, my Stihl is 041 Farm Boss and is over 20 years old, sharpen chains, clean the bar after every days work, blow out the cover of saw dust, and clean the air cleaner, and keep the sprocket on bar, and internal parts greased, make sure all screws and nuts are tight at least3-4 times during usage and everything seems to be still running just like new.

Stihl, we swear by them, we don't have to swear at them...

just a simple suggestion...

Purchased the Stihl MS251C this afternoon. Considerably more power than the entry level models, far better air filtration, and lots of features. The break-in period begins this weekend processing lots of storm debris. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
ms251cbe.png

Back
Top Bottom