• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommendations for Very High-End 1911s

On my budget, a Sig or a Colt is my idea of very high end. They will probably shoot just as good as those $4500 ones.
The rule of diminishing returns applies to 1911/2011 pistols. If you are a recreational shooter you will not notice the difference in a $1000 and $2000 dollar 1911 when shooting. You may notice the difference when moving the slide by hand but not when shooting. You will notice the difference in a $500 1911 and $1000 1911.
In some models money buys endurance. I have a 2011 with over 15,000 rounds through it. It has seen hard use, the park finish on the slide is worn down to bare metal where the holster contacts it. The sear spring has gotten weak and the grip safety no longer functions. I could bend the sear spring and return it to service but I will probably buy a new spring. You are not going to get 15,000 rounds out of a gun with MIM or cast parts.
i shoot a good bit by most standards. I am pretty sure I can tell the difference in a $1500 and $3000 2011 when shooting and I am sure I would be able to tell the difference in a $2000 and $6000 dollar gun.

If you are just specifically looking for a high end 1911 and have the $'s to spend, Wilson would definitely fit the bill. Or Les Baer. Or Ed Brown. All are great guns. Good performance.

Price vs performance, I don't think you will find better than a Dan Wesson. While not "hand tooled", they are probably the best fit for a gun that isn't hand fitted. And will come in at under a $2K price tag.

This would be my working approach. Buy the Dan Wesson model that gets you to the closest product you think you want. They have a GREAT lineup and I have found the slides and frames are SO consistent, that I have no problem switching slides between my 9mm and .38 Super versions. So in essence, now have a "custom" Dan wesson, with lightweight, railed, frame and a .38 Super Commander length slide. Shoot it, carry it, use it.

THEN start shopping for that really high end and make sure it has all the doodads you want. If you can't find a prebuilt with those features, go custom builder. At least you will know exactly all the features you now want and use. You may just find the Dan Wesson, offered everything you really needed anyway. And if there are ANY reliability issues, send it to DW or get a master Gunsmith to make it reliable.

Few years ago I was on the 1911 kick…. Had several models of the aforementioned names, even one Cabot….sold them all And moved to the 2011 platform.
if I had to start again, nighthawk would be my first choice of all of them.
why? They exude quality thru and thru and I like their modern designs.
they were also the most accurate of ALL the other 1911s I had ,by far.(LB were the closest seconds).
yet, the biggest bang for the buck would be DW, but it left me wanting more……

Very good insight and exactly the type of opinion I am looking for. Thank you.
Get a TRUE custom gun made if money is no object. Look up SVI Infinity and go to their build sheet and start filling it out. It will cost you WELL over 10G for some of them, but they are one of a kind. Or Limcat is another one to look at.

DW started up the 1911 ladder when bob serva owned it. His Fusion line up is impressive, but I have only experience with his DW 1911’s. Mine’s match grade, 10mm and will never ever be sold.

Back
Top Bottom