• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommendations on a rifle.

Glorfindel

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Witch-King’s Daddy
87   1
Reaction score
I'm lookin to buy a rifle in the next few weeks. I want a bolt action in a moderate cartridge with metal sights. I've looked on a few sites and so far all ive found is a few CZ rifles. any recommendations on any others i might have missed? I'm wanting mostly just a range gun to shoot steel and kill some paper so im not planning on mounting an optic.

I suggest a sporterized military rifle that's been rebarreled to a popular and affordable cartridge that has the power & range that you want.

Not long ago I saw a customized Mauser rifle in .243 Win, and I think it had iron sights in addition to the receiver been drilled and tapped for scope bases.

I like CZ 527 and 550, not so sure on the 557 just yet. Winchester makes the Model 70 Alaskan in 30-06. Tikka makes a Battue but I don't know where to find one for sale. I'd vote for CZ.

I'm lookin to buy a rifle in the next few weeks. I want a bolt action in a moderate cartridge with metal sights. I've looked on a few sites and so far all ive found is a few CZ rifles. any recommendations on any others i might have missed? I'm wanting mostly just a range gun to shoot steel and kill some paper so im not planning on mounting an optic.

Sounds like a Ruger Gunsite scout would work well.

Hickock45 bangs steel with irons at 230 yds a few times.

The CZ rifles are outstanding guns.

The Ruger Gunsite Scout has irons, as do similar offerings from companies like Savage.

The Mossberg MVP Scout and Patrol models have irons, they also take common magazines. The 5.56 version feeds from AR mags and the 7.62 version feeds from both AR10 PMags and M14 mags. I had an MVP 7.62 Patrol and it was a great rifle. Accurate rifles; when my daughter was 10YOA she ran her MVP Predator 5.56 out to 800yds with handloads.

Standard Remington 700 BDL still has irons, as does the Model Seven Laminate. Also easy to find old Remington 700’s in pawn shops with iron sights. Same with Winchester Model 70’s.

Back
Top Bottom