• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommended "set-up" for AR/ M4 rifles

I've talked to a lot of folks about the splashback effect you get indoors when using too bright a light, but a lot of folks still don't believe me.

Too bright a light will splash back from glass-fronted pictures, mirrors, stainless steel appliances, even bright white walls and large pieces of glossy furniture (to a lesser degree).

I've talked to a lot of folks about the splashback effect you get indoors when using too bright a light, but a lot of folks still don't believe me.

Too bright a light will splash back from glass-fronted pictures, mirrors, stainless steel appliances, even bright white walls and large pieces of glossy furniture (to a lesser degree).
very true aint nothing like losing your target after getting site on and getting blinded by your own light..momentary switches and low settings indoors are great.. save the bright stuff for outside

Thanks! Once I get my bcm stuff in, it'll be time to really focus on an optic, sadly I can't afford the nicer ones right now, but saving up to get at least an aimpoint. So for now, those aren't back up irons, they're my primary sights until I get my quarters counted
That primary arms MD-ADS is a good choice for price and durability and excepts aim point T1 mounts and for 280$ with absolute co witness mount it is well within most shooters reach
http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...-and-up-to-50k-hour-battery-life/p/kt-md-ads/

That primary arms MD-ADS is a good choice for price and durability and excepts aim point T1 mounts and for 280$ with absolute co witness mount it is well within most shooters reach
http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...-and-up-to-50k-hour-battery-life/p/kt-md-ads/
Been really thinking about these, but I've never actually had time behind one, so I would like to really see what the setup looks like on a rifle in hand before dropping the money, a good friend has an aimpoint PRO, and I've shot his rifle, it was really nice, and didn't take up near as much space in my sight picture as I thought it would. Soon as I can see one for myself, I'll probably plunk down the $$ if it's a reliable unit on the primary arms

Thanks! Once I get my bcm stuff in, it'll be time to really focus on an optic, sadly I can't afford the nicer ones right now, but saving up to get at least an aimpoint. So for now, those aren't back up irons, they're my primary sights until I get my quarters counted

Iron sights are the original battle optic. Personally I love shooting irons. If you can hit with the irons, a good optic makes it almost too easy. Take advantage of the time without an optic and brush up on those iron sight skills. I had to do the same thing not long ago when my cheap optic broke. Heck I even did a class w/cmshoot running with iron sights. I had a blast!

Been really thinking about these, but I've never actually had time behind one, so I would like to really see what the setup looks like on a rifle in hand before dropping the money, a good friend has an aimpoint PRO, and I've shot his rifle, it was really nice, and didn't take up near as much space in my sight picture as I thought it would. Soon as I can see one for myself, I'll probably plunk down the $$ if it's a reliable unit on the primary arms
about the same size as the T-1 micro (aimpoint) 50k battery life..mine has taken a beating and it holds zero when changing from one rifle to another..and almost indistinguishable from 10ft or less from the micro T-1

Last edited:
Iron sights are the original battle optic. Personally I love shooting irons. If you can hit with the irons, a good optic makes it almost too easy. Take advantage of the time without an optic and brush up on those iron sight skills. I had to do the same thing not long ago when my cheap optic broke. Heck I even did a class w/cmshoot running with iron sights. I had a blast!
I like BUIS and shoot with them at the indoor ranges and open ranges as well just for skill upkeep but has cmshoot cmshoot stated its a force multiplier when the **** gets ruff

Reactions: MRH
I do love shooting irons, it's my preferred sight picture honestly. The only time I really have run optics, they've always been magnified. Fixed 4x to be exact, Nikon p223 compact scope to be exact. But I love me some milsurps, M1 carbine is my favorite, as I've been shooting one since I was about 8. So I stay sharp with peep sights. But red dots are a new thing to me really. I see their utility, and agree, they're almost too easy!! But I'm wondering if I'd be better served with a magnified optic for versatility. Specifically a 1-4 or 1-6. I know they weight a good bit more, but maybe the sacrifice would be worth it? What says the group?

Reactions: MRH
I do love shooting irons, it's my preferred sight picture honestly. The only time I really have run optics, they've always been magnified. Fixed 4x to be exact, Nikon p223 compact scope to be exact. But I love me some milsurps, M1 carbine is my favorite, as I've been shooting one since I was about 8. So I stay sharp with peep sights. But red dots are a new thing to me really. I see their utility, and agree, they're almost too easy!! But I'm wondering if I'd be better served with a magnified optic for versatility. Specifically a 1-4 or 1-6. I know they weight a good bit more, but maybe the sacrifice would be worth it? What says the group?
That's why I like a red dot with a magnifier, best of both worlds. I don't know what the experts say about that though.

Does anyone have experience with this light mount? It allegedly fits standard AR handguards. For the budget conscious this may be a good option. Looks like they make one for the Streamlight Polytac, which seems to be one of the best cheap lights.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/tmc-1-light-mount-n-slot/

I have a carbine I'm working on now (pictured in this thread further back), that I believe I'm gonna use this for. I already got their snap hook mount. It attaches right to the original handgaurds. It's solid as a rock and I'm sure their light mount will be too

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom