• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Record Giant Grouper caught in Oz.......

Check this out. The Goliaths are completely protected from harvest, but it's legal to catch them. Their recovery as a species is one of the great management successes and they are frequently caught in Florida waters now.

The real fun starts at 2:00.

Not even close. The article said 62kg. That's 137lbs.
Clearly I didnt read the article, just looked at the pics. Lol.

I've seen a 300lb grouper in West Palm while diving and it looked smaller than the one in the picture there.

They are deceiving. This guy in the white shirt has one that is 100 lbs, and the blue shirt has one 400 lbs. Doesn't look to be 4x larger.

66fce9dc40406e6e4e9b33864684bb38.jpg
9634234e9273ee6a1c8aceb406ab3509.jpg

Check this out. The Goliaths are completely protected from harvest, but it's legal to catch them. Their recovery as a species is one of the great management successes and they are frequently caught in Florida waters now.

The real fun starts at 2:00.

The surprise to me is there in such shallow water!

The surprise to me is there in such shallow water!
They are easy to hook if you find them. Landing them is a different story.

My Father got one with a speargun in the Gulf of Mexico back in the late 50s or early 60s. He put the first spear in it, then two of his friends got a second and third in it. They got dragged a long ways and as each spear worked it's way out that person would reload and shoot it again. They eventually lost it, but found it, dead, once they got back to the boat and were headed back in.

He never said and I didn't ask, but this had to have been in shallow water. They were snorkeling, not scuba. I don't know what it weighed, but I saw an old pic of it and it was huge.

Back
Top Bottom