• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RECTEC Holy S**t Moment

joel2000

Bear Icon Supporter
Just passing thru
36   0
Reaction score
Well... bear with me while I explain a self induced f**k up. Long post...
I purchased my 590 in November of 20'. Since that time I have burned over a 140lbs of pellets using this smoker on average of at least twice a week and sometimes more. I mean, I truly enjoy cooking on it and the ease and taste of all things fooded ( Ha, made that word up) with it.
My issue?? The purdy stainless was getting all stained and black and brown from smoke and i'm pretty anal about keeping things clean. So, I decided to clean it up. Rag and some cleaning **** just wasn't cutting it so I broke out the Simple Green and and a scrub brush. Cleaned up real well with a lot of elbow grease added.
Fast forward a couple days later for the next burn>>>>
Wouldn't fire off...wth...error code 2 showing on the panel.... meaning, no temp change for 30 mins...
Get to looking and checking and find out it aint spitting pellets in the cup. Auger wasn't turning.
Diagnosis?? My cleaning induced what pellet grill forums call pelletcrete. Water got in the auger tube, melted the saw dust and dried out into pelletcrete.
I now know, after a fifth of Scotch and a bunch of bad words and a couple two or three hours, exactly what makes a REC TEC work. Luckily I didn't kill the auger motor. Just a matter of pulling it totally apart and drilling the pelletcrete out ( seriously!! it was that hard ) with a wood paddle bit. From now on if a rag won't clean it, it won't get cleaned.
If you didn't know already......consider yourself warned!!!

Breathing that simple green burn off might kill a feller.

43E9077B-08D1-451C-AED7-0B42C4A5A95C.png

I’ve had my 590 3yrs and only have vacuumed ash, scrapped inside, and wiped outside down. Thanks for the heads up! I do have a buddy that uses oven cleaner on the whole thing but never had an issue, thus far!

I’ve had my 590 3yrs and only have vacuumed ash, scrapped inside, and wiped outside down. Thanks for the heads up! I do have a buddy that uses oven cleaner on the whole thing but never had an issue, thus far!
It’s all good until water soaks the pellets. Didn’t think I needed to dump the bin, hell, it’s covered. Didn’t think or know that those damn pellets would melt and then harden like a block of wood. I damn sure know now! Really didn’t figure that much water would get in the auger tube. It f’n did! I definitely learned a valuable lesson…

Back
Top Bottom