• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Red dot vs green dot

I've found that regarding astigmatism, they're about the same.

( When it comes to lasers rather than 'dots', I've found that during daytime, I can target with a green laser a bit easier, but the test wasn't particularly scientific.)

If you're looking at rifle sights and have the budget, I'm finding greatest success with a prism scope.

The human eye sees green better than red. That said, I don't think there is a difference. If you plan on shooting a bunch in the woods, go red. If you plan on shooting a bunch in the red light district, go green

Green shows great shooting solid color backgrounds of contrasting color. Shooting white plates or black bull rings but when shooting it outside in bright daylight in wooded areas I'll take red all day. I have both and shoot both frequently, just my observation.

I pick up green faster than red, but red works just fine if green isn't an option. The only time I can say I prefer red is if I'm shooting white targets (paper, painted steel, etc.). I lose a green dot against a white background very easily in bright conditions. No such issue with red.

I also have an astigmatism, so all dots look like a comet to me if I'm focusing on the dot itself. Maintaining a proper hard target focus and letting the dot superimpose on the target negates this effect though.

Holographic and prism sights get along much better with astigmatism if you find that you focus on the reticle instead of the target.

for most reflex sights if I can get it I prefer the green but if I were hunting in areas with a lot of foliage, I'd go red.

I looked thru a Browe sight a while ago (basically a guy that worked for Trijicon who started his own company and made changes to them to make them "better") and he had red, green or blue. the blue was actually pretty cool, and the only option for folks that are color blind. :) I keep thinking I'd get one some day and maybe get the blue.

Back
Top Bottom