• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Red dot zeroing

I took Aaron Cowan's recommendation of a 25 yard zero for muh pistolas.

I don't shoot handguns good enough to warrant a 25 yard zero not to mention I'd probably expend 1000 rounds just trying to not screw up the zeroing at that distance even benched LOL.

Aaron is the man though. That guy knows his handgun RDS **** and can back it up all day long.

What Rifle, caliber, barrel length?

I just bought into the 36 yard way of thinking. trying it out now.

The trajectory based would determine the most effective sighting range.
5.56-10.5 barrel
5.56-7.5 barrel
.300 black out- 8.5 barrel
.450 bushmaster7.5 barrel I hunt with this so I will need 100 yards most likely
5.56-16 in barrel it’s zeroed at 100 just got new vortex spitfires with 5.56 bdr retical it also has a vortex red dot attached to it
.308-12.5 barrel vortex is zeroed at 100 n i shoot 1-2 in groups with it
Norinco ak with iron sites I have no clue with this one but at 25 yards it dead on

What distance do you want to shoot?

Determine what max range you personally want to shoot and zero for that. If you're shooting 100 yds, a 25 yds zero isn't going to POA/POI since it'll make the weapon shoot high at 100 yds. Zeroing should be based off of the purpose you need that firearm for.

A 7 yd zero is fine if you don't plan on shooting beyond that. If you do though, it's a bad idea. A 7 yd zero at 100 yds will be off by 2.5ft. However, zeroing for 100 yds will still work well at 7 yds.

I'd like to see somebody do an experiment using a A.R. 15 or some other capable rifle at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards comparing accuracy of:
iron sights,
a non-magnifying red dot optic,
and then a low variable power crosshair reticle scope,
first set at 1.5X and then with some groups shot with the scope at 5X or 6X power.

My longest shots with a red dot equipped rifle were 100 yards shooting a 22 rimfire.
It worked great at that distance & the groups were not significantly larger at 100 then what I would've expected based on shooting at 25 and 50 yards.

On my carbines with Aimpoint Micros, I use a 100yd zero and know my holdovers from point blank out to 500yds. All my carbines have the same zero so I don’t have to remember which one uses what. Whatever you decide to use, that is something that I would recommend.

Doesn’t make a huge difference what zero you decide to go with, as long as you know it and how to use it at various distances.

I zero all my handgun mounted RDS optics at 10 yards (30 feet) and have no issues with accuracy (cranial box T target) at 25 yards. All my ARs are a 50/200 yard zero. Easy to shoot at most ranges at 25 yards for zero for a 50 yard zero.

I always laser bore sight first at 25 yards to get it close then it only takes a few rounds to dial it in.
What Laser boresight Do you use?

A 7 yd zero at 100 yds will be off by 30 inches. However, zeroing for 100 yds will still work well at 7 yds.
At what velocity?? If zeroed at 25 yards, even a pistol bullet limping along at a slow 850 fps shot from a 4" barrel will only drop about 17 1/2" at 100 yards (give or take a couple inches depending on bullet weight).

I zero all AR pattern rifles at 200 yards. This puts me "close enough" for all uses inside 200 yards. Beyond the 200 yards I'll have to start adjusting "come ups", which are all pretty consistent for the rifles I'm using.

As CMSHOOT posted, the important thing is to be consistent so you aren't having to try to figure things out in the heat of the moment.

I have also heard some strong arguments for 100 yard zeros for ARs, only because beyond 100 yards all rounds are below point of impact; there's less risk of firing over their heads. Even if you miss him you hit whatever cover he's behind, and it encourages him not to poke his head up again!

I would encourage you to come to an Appleseed training event. We cover "KD" shooting on Sunday, and you can learn how to take advantage of your rifle's "battle sight zero".

Back
Top Bottom