• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Red Flag law for Perverts?

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
So, the consensus here is that any attempt to create a new "red flag law" to disarm gun owners (or put people on a "no guns" list where they'll be denied if they try to buy a gun from any FFL dealer) is a bad idea. It won't be effective, it will impact far more innocent people than true future killers and crazies, and regardless of its effectiveness, it's just blatantly unconstitutional because it restricts people's rights over behavior, character, or mannerisms, that are NOT UNLAWFUL by themselves, just strange or perhaps abrasive and unwelcome. But we at ODT agree that you don't let the government strip people of their rights UNLESS and UNTIL they actually cross the line into criminal conduct and DO commit a crime for which they can be arrested and prosecuted (and, if released on bond, the bond can have a no-weapons-possession order as part of that).

SO NOW I'D LIKE TO ASK ABOUT A DIFFERENT KIND OF RED FLAG LAW:

One for suspected future sex offenders. Guys (it's almost always going to be a guy) who act or talk inappropriately around kids in a way that makes other people, reasonable and fair-minded people, think that this guy is grooming that child for a romantic / sexual relationship, OR trying to get the kid alone and in private so that he can molest the kid without any witnesses.

If some guy behaves in such a way that throws up red flags in other people's minds, can they call the cops? Should the cops have any power, any authority, to do anything about it, other than stand back and observe the guy from a respectful distance without harassing him or restricting his rights?

In Foxboro, MA, the City commission has enacted a new ordinance that lets cops investigate complaints that some dude is getting pervy around kids, and the consequences to the alleged pedophile can include
1-- that the cops serve him with a criminal trespass notice banning him from all city property where events or activities involving children are held, and
2-- the cops find out where the guy works and talk to his employer, disclosing to the employer their concerns about the guy.

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news...cle_27473811-591d-5eb9-846b-92452d12d302.html

Keep in mind that Foxboro's city law is specifically intended to apply where NO CRIME HAS BEEN COMMITTED, at least no crime that is reasonably suspected or for which there is probable cause.
It's about guys acting as low-grade perverts towards kids, not actually attempting to molest them in a way that is actionable as an "attempt to ......" crime in and of itself.

Red Flag laws, no matter to whom they are directed, are unconstitutional because they result in some form of judgement without giving the charged the right to due process.
The person charged will have good standing in civil court for a "frivolous charge" lawsuit.

Just opens the door for mean spirited false accusations. Can you imagine how you would feel being served with that kind of judgement just because someone that didnt like you said at last Saturdays bbq you were too friendly with the kids? I think I would want to throw up. How embarrassing would that be? Trying to explain to your wife and friends? No matter how innocent you are there would be a seed of awful doubt planted in the mind of everyone that knows you. And anyone that wasnt your biggest fan would pounce on it. Disgusts me thinking about it. A decree by law enforcement does carry legitimacy regardless of your innocence or guilt in the minds of others. And how would that effect how you interact with kids from that point on? Even if completely innocent the memory of that accusation would probably follow you around for the rest of your life.

Seems to be the new wave of media, law enforcement, and our justice department. What used to be considered libel and slander has turned into justified opinion that has the weight of the law behind it. Make no mistake, in the court of public opinion you are considered guilty and must prove your innocence not the other way around. It's disgusting, unamerican and completely contrary to our laws.

Parental involvement, family, teachers, and the community should be the first line of prevention. As a society, we are so busy being preoccupied with our own bs that we have forgotten that we live in a community and should all have a collective hand in protecting those around us. Strengthen the community and family bonds, actively participate in the lives of those around us, reduce the amount of laws and what is considered crime, and have much stiffer penalties for crimes committed. That is the answer. Not backing up unjustified claims with force of law.

I can see these “red flag laws” spiraling out of control to the point of just tossing the fourth, second and many other constitutional amendments out the window. Hell, it is already there!
The only way the MSM will start to gripe about this is when they come for their word processors and presses because they don’t print what they are told to. By then it will be too late. Folks need to wake...

I dont know or have the answers to this but there has to be something. It is already too large to fight election wise.

But what if you are sure the dude is a perv, and there's no innocent explanation why that middle aged guy would be asking a 7 year old kid he just met "do you hang out in gym locker rooms" or "Have you ever seen a grown man naked?"

But what if you are sure the dude is a perv, and there's no innocent explanation why that middle aged guy would be asking a 7 year old kid he just met "do you hang out in gym locker rooms" or "Have you ever seen a grown man naked?"

If I heard enough of that conversation to be sure I'd knock that sick pervert on the ground with prejudice and gladly defend my actions in court.

Back
Top Bottom