Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Featured Listings are working again! Feature your listing on every page for $3 a day! Click here for all the info.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Flag laws.

Thread in 'Law & Order' started by FatAlbert, Aug 5, 2019.

No crime committed, take the guns anyway?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BanjoJohn

BanjoJohn The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

113   0

Rating
    100%

Or they may not be needed as evidence, but the "Special Agent" in charge is incompetent and a dick head, until I got his supervisor on dat ass, then his attitude changed.

2. Jambo

Jambo Survivalist

11   0

Rating
    100%
    Yes, YOU can be arrested if it is suspected you COMMITTED A CRIME. You are NOT arrested if they suspect you might commit a crime. That's the difference.

"My uncle Bob is crazy, please take his guns" = they come to the house, search it top to bottom, and take any guns they find. Tomorrow Bob rents a U-haul truck and drives it through a crowd.
    How did the red flag law help?
    How will the police treat your firearms? Toss them in a water filled bucket for safe keeping? Damage them in some way? Who determines the value of the 1942 M1 your Dad brought back from WWII?

Bottom line: The last large scale Red Flag confiscations in this country were carried out by men wearing red coats. Next they'll be carried out by people who want you to "back their blue" because, after all, they're just following orders.

3. mm1988

mm1988 Hunter

4   0

Rating
    100%
    It’s very important for everyone on this board to contact elected reps and say NO MORE NEW GUN LAWS. Everyone thought trump was the messiah and we could sit back for 8 years wrong. He has already changed the definition of a machine gun by order to atf. His record so far is worse than Obama’s on guns.

If any of you think these red flag laws are the end you’re stupid. Soon we will have an AWB again then mandatory registration and we know what comes next.

What happened to national CCW, repeal the NFA and the hearing protection act? We have gained 0 and lost 1 so far.

Red flag laws will allow your mad ex to call you in and have you’re guns confiscated. Our a mad individual that doesn’t like you. You will be left defenseless until you can prove you’re not crazy in court.

glock dude and HoldYourFire like this.
  4. HoldYourFire

HoldYourFire The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

6   0

Rating
    100%
    Problem is, there are protections in place covering the holding and treatment of a person. No such protections for property.
    "So, I'm too much a danger to have a single-shot 20 gauge, but I'm fine to have a pocket knife, a hunting knife, kitchen knives, a sword, a U-haul truck, fertilizer and diesel fuel, black powder guns, ... ?"

If someone truly is unstable, possibly the worst thing you can do is take some of their dangerous possessions from them but leave them free!

5. glock dude

glock dude Hunter

20   0

Rating
    100%
    Ive called, written letters and sent emails urging Senators Isakson and Perdue to not support Red Flag laws and any new gun control. They both respond via email, Isakson has a secretary that will talk to you, Perdue sends you straight to voicemail, and I don't know if they got my letters. Please take 5 minutes out of your day and call the Washington DC switchboard at 202-224-3121 ask for the Senators, one at a time, and tell them to not pass anything new gun legislation. We all need to pressure them.

6. Lionheart

Lionheart En vino veritas Supporter

Supporter

132   0

Rating
    100%
    Are you serious? Your first sentence explains the difference between RFL and arresting someone suspected of a crime. RFL's are about someone who has NOT committed a crime. And you are a lawyer? I guess RFL's would be good for your business...but I wouldn't count on any business from the ODT.

7. Lionheart

Supporter

132   0

Rating
    100%
    I really don't understand your post above very well...I wish you would clarify it. You voted for RFL's but the above is not clear...you support them because there are crazy people out there who should not own a gun?
    Surely you can see where the RFL's violate the constitution...and you are ok with that? Is that what you are saying?
    We have laws on the books now that would allow the authorities to investigate and, if necessary, put the crazy people in a padded room until they are deemed not a danger to themselves or others. How about we just enforce them in a constitutional manner and NOT deprive an innocent gun owner of his rights...based on mere heresay or gossip?

8. GAgunLAWbooklet

GAgunLAWbooklet The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

34   0

Rating
    100%
    Lionheart,

To the extent that your reply is just a personal attack on me and my character, see this borrowed image from another regular poster here.

A6AC3630-13EF-4CA9-A97A-3BBB60F36EED.jpeg

Now, as to the substance of your post, I'll ask you this what is your fascination with focusing on past "criminal" behavior when I want to focus on CURRENTLY dangerous MENTALLY ILL people who haven't actually committed a crime yet but look like they're headed on that path?

Criminals need government intervention to be stopped,

(We all agree, right? Even the ideologues on here that claim that nobody should lose their rights without first getting due process, even though that's exactly what happens when somebody is arrested on one witnesses' statement and a police officer's belief in probable cause. Due process comes later.)

But I say dangerous people also need government intervention to be stopped.

And one form of that intervention should be disarming them, whether or not that is accompanied by hauling them off to the loony bin in a padded wagon wearing a straitjacket.

Like arresting a criminal, who may or may not be a dangerous person, the seizure and loss of liberty comes first, and the due process comes second. You can work it the same way for a crazy-dangerous person (who may or may not be a criminal).

9. Lionheart

Supporter

132   0

Rating
    100%
    Your deranged behavior in this thread would be more amusing if it was not so dangerous to the liberty of innocent people.

But I did get a chuckle at your your hypocrisy in using the picture that offended you so greatly. Sorry but it just makes me laugh.

All I have said from the beginning was that if someone was proven to dangerous and mentally ill...they need to be in custody.
    The RFL's are unconstitutional and besides that...just a really dumb idea. So many bad outcomes are possible.

In one case, an innocent person is subject to a no-knock home invasion putting his family and the LEO's life in danger...and it's all because someone misunderstand a comment made tongue-in-cheek or in jest. Or maybe just an accusation made by someone who is fearful of guns, period. Do you really think the American public can be trusted with the power to disarm by force anyone who makes them nervous?

In the second case, LEO's are being asked to disarm a dangerous, mentally ill person in the most dangerous scenario possible. Far better would be to detain them and get them help...when they are nowhere near a firearm. After they are determined by the courts to actually be a dangerous, mentally ill person...then you can take their guns.

BanjoJohn and FatAlbert like this.
  10. GAgunLAWbooklet

GAgunLAWbooklet The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

34   0

Rating
    100%
    Ya know, the more I think about it, I agree with this. The "authorities" are generally anti-gun, anti-2A. They will more easily infringe on gun rights than any other kind of right or liberty. It's a very slippery slope.