• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Red Flag laws.

No crime committed, take the guns anyway?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yeah, that's where I'm at with it. If they've made threats that can be proven to a judge I don't have any problem with rushing the process. But I don't see why they can't do that under current law.

It seems to me, what's likely to change is language in a new bill/law that allows guns to be taken even if no crime is committed. Kinda the same way civil forfeiture works.

Yeah, pretty soon mental health issues will include yelling at your kids/spouse/girlfriend/neighbor or being a meanie in an online forum, and there go your guns. But don’t worry, it’ll only be “temporary” while they work out the rest of the due process package. :lol:

Yeah, that's where I'm at with it. If they've made threats that can be proven to a judge I don't have any problem with rushing the process. But I don't see why they can't do that under current law.

It seems to me, what's likely to change is language in a new bill/law that allows guns to be taken even if no crime is committed. Kinda the same way civil forfeiture works.

Q: Why do we need a New Red Flag law? Someone can already call the law on someone for being a threat to ones self or others, and that person can be held and evaluated for up to 72 hours.
http://www.askferc.org/uploads/docs/resources/5150_5250.pdf

A: this isn’t about protecting people, it’s about property theft and disarming people with no right to defend themselves up front.

Any law that violates due process is unconstitutional. Period.

I'll say it again. Exceptions make bad law.

Penalizing millions of innocents for the bad behavior of a microscopic minority of insane people is NOT a solution.

Sometimes, if you want to live in a free society, you just can't fix the problem with more laws or more government.

It would be far more productive to have a conversation about why these idiots are doing this than what new gun laws might stop them. But then we would get into uncomfortable areas like the breakdown of the family, loss of morals/faith and simple things like the difference between good and evil.

I'll just go ahead and say it...what this country needs is a good ol fashioned revival.

I think crazy, paranoid, irrationally angry, or delusional people should lose their gun rights. Very quickly, although perhaps temporarily, pending further mental health evaluation and the work-up of a case history on the person. There should be some elements of due process upfront before the deprivation of gun rights, but the rest of the due process package or rights could be handled later (within a few days or weeks) after the guns are seized and the person is but on a "no guns for you" list.

The problem that I have with your first sentence is that it’s entirely subjective. Libs would probably think everyone here on the ODT fits that list.

Hell, me ex-wife’s mother has called me all of those. She’s a bad crazy libtard though. Like extreme left. Glad I got outta that deal.

Back
Top Bottom