• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reduced engine power warning

Seriously, Graybeard is right. The port is always hot, but won't read anything till you put power to the onboard computer.

The way mine works is you plug it in and the scanner reads the ID number of the car, then turn the key on and it will access the computer and read engine codes, brake codes, air bag codes or transmission codes. It will ask if you want to reset the codes. It also has a real time monitoring function that will read each sensor with the engine running.

Seriously, Graybeard is right. The port is always hot, but won't read anything till you put power to the onboard computer.

The way mine works is you plug it in and the scanner reads the ID number of the car, then turn the key on and it will access the computer and read engine codes, brake codes, air bag codes or transmission codes. It will ask if you want to reset the codes. It also has a real time monitoring function that will read each sensor with the engine running.
Yes the key was on
It was still like the port had no power

The power from that port comes from the ecu, and supplemented by you fuse box. If you have no power there I would look for a broken wire or pushed back pin or bad reader. When you turn the key on it enables the ecu to be read by the reader. If you had emissions done they normally read from this connector, the ecu tells the emissions reader if you are a go or no go. Perhaps they pushed a pin back. Could be mice chewing on wires?

If the engine will run, the ecu is getting power. You have a connection loose or broken leading to the port from the ecu. See if you can find a 8 to 20 pin connection unplugged under the dash, find it by following the wire out the back of the OBD connection you are using.

Looking at the connector top row 1-8
Bottom row 9-16
All left to right
Check pin 4 for a ground
Check pin 16 for 12 volt
Jeep78 is on spot. If engine runs ecu has power and something interrupted the circuit going to the connector.

Back
Top Bottom