• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Refinishing an old Colt

What finishing technique would you use on this Colt?

• Cold blue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fake Case hardening - cold blue/water/clear cerakote

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Hot blue

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Leave it alone you idiot.

• tacos

• Total voters

GAGunguy

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
260   1
Reaction score
I bought this from a member on here, the gun had deep pitting in the metal. I polished the gun and removed most of the pitting, some pitting still remains. I am considering refinishing it. What would you all recommend for this Colt?
colt .jpg

Hot blue. There is a few threads showing how it is done (the right way) from @Sharps40 ..... he is a master at it.
He doesn’t do stuff for people that i know of but his threads are very informative.

Or get someone else to do it. My opinion is to hot blue it.

Honestly, the surface looks rough as **** so I wouldn't consider bluing because it's still gonna look rough as ****. If it were me I'd go with cerakote (of course you would FatAlbert!) Choose one of the metallic colors and it will blend in with the pitting better.

Something like this combo in Tungsten & Titanium would look good.
FB_IMG_1560613471816.jpg

Honestly, the surface looks rough as **** so I wouldn't consider bluing because it's still gonna look rough as ****. If it were me I'd go with cerakote (of course you would FatAlbert!) Choose one of the metallic colors and it will blend in with the pitting better.

Something like this combo in Tungsten & Titanium would look good. View attachment 2160645

Was it a P38 you cerakoted with a finish that looked like it was close to a factory blue?

That's the one I would vote for.

Was it a P38 you cerakoted with a finish that looked like it was close to a factory blue?

That's the one I would vote for.
Yes sir. That was elite midnight. One of my favorite colors. It's dark and glossy though, so I don't think I would use it on a gun with a rough surface and pitting like this. Just like painting a car, dark and glossy is going to show up every single imperfection.

Yes sir. That was elite midnight. One of my favorite colors. It's dark and glossy though, so I don't think I would use it on a gun with a rough surface and pitting like this. Just like painting a car, dark and glossy is going to show up every single imperfection.

Well bondo the dang pits and go with it anyway...

Back
Top Bottom