• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Refinishing M77 stock

Nathaniel Brown

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
91   0
Reaction score
I recently acquired an older tang safety M77. The stock is a little roughed up, but not destroyed. I want to refinish it and match the original finish and color as closely as possible. I bought a spare stock to practice on as well. I've already ordered the replacement grip caps and buttons too. I want it to look completely original. I've read multiple different articles and threads on it, and methods vary. Does anyone here have a tried and proven way to accomplish the factory look?

I just started this process on a mini 14 stock, using products from S.B Mcwilliams, I can tell you that the original varnish is a mother to get off, I am far from done but so far I like the results.

Attachments

• mini.jpg
    mini.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 13
One of the tips I read to remove the varnish was to coat it with citrus strip and wrap it in foil.
I have tried that before and didn't care for it, the grain raised up, maybe I left it on too long. what i did to this one was a medium scotch bright pad soaked in denatured alcohol and used elbow grease. I took my time and once there was no shimmer with water applied I started sanding from there the original finish came off kinda quick. What I have found is no quick method works well for refinish, it always end up not quite right.

For finishing I was turned on to this stuff by a professional gunsmith that restored my Dad's fire damaged No.3. Follow directions and use thin coats.

Attachments

• IMG_20220812_134808008.jpg
    IMG_20220812_134808008.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220812_134812382.jpg
    IMG_20220812_134812382.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 13
I read an interesting article where a guy mixed alkanet oil with mineral spirits and tung oil. And rubbed it into the stock and then finished it with a satin varnish. That was the most factory like finish I've seen yet.

I finally got around to stripping one of my test stocks this evening. I'll start sanding tomorrow. The red pad was pretty nasty on it. I found that denatured alcohol does an amazing job cleaning them.

Back
Top Bottom