• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Refreshing Your Get Home Bag

Thank you for posting this. My daughter just took the driving test last week and passed. She already has a car so I should get a bag together for her. What do you have in your daughters bag?

When I made up these GHBs for my wife and daughter, I made them watch the video below before I showed them the contents.

The bag itself is a small over the shoulder bag so it's not really a multi-day GHB. As far as contents:

Bottled water, 2
Food Bars
Tissues
Flashlight, spare batteries
Poncho
Space blanket
Swiss army knife
Spare ammo for her G19
Med kit
Fire starting items
Paracord
AA battery cellphone charger, spare batteries
Cash

When I made up these GHBs for my wife and daughter, I made them watch the video below before I showed them the contents.

The bag itself is a small over the shoulder bag so it's not really a multi-day GHB. As far as contents:

Bottled water, 2
Food Bars
Tissues
Flashlight, spare batteries
Poncho
Space blanket
Swiss army knife
Spare ammo for her G19
Med kit
Fire starting items
Paracord
AA battery cellphone charger, spare batteries
Cash
That's more along the lines of what I was thinking of for a ghb. Once you get into the crazy weeks of food and tents and stuff its incredibly heavy bug out territory and I still think people that pack like that have never marched with a ruck lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

One man's ghb is another man's Bob. This thread shows how much a bag can vary based on personality, preference, and an an individual's situation. Regardless of which way you go please keep sharing. My bag is light. I occasionally go through it with the goal of making it lighter. I'm in a rural area so my primary and secondary routes won't be high risk for urban unrest not if I recognize the situation and leave accordingly. Certainly the first choice is to drive home which is an option unless vehicles get fried. Next option is to walk to the local pawn shop on the way out of town and buy a bicycle. Last option is to walk. I most likely will have to walk 40 miles. Depending on factors such as weather and time of day I anticipate one overnight. Heck it could happen when it's a 100 degrees and I need to wait until it cools off.

I'm starting on a bag for my wife's truck and it will be very different. For example I have a mre and coast guard ration in mine. Not sure my kids will eat that and the portions are wrong so it will have something different. Thus every bag is different. She can also keep a bicycle at work do that helps.

My GHB contains far more than what I did for my daughter. There are so many factors consider, not least of which is the person's ability to carry the bag and the ability or knowledge to use the contents. One thing I need to ensure she has in her car are comfortable walking shoes. Because I know her daily wear shoes wouldn't be good for walking more than a few hundred feet, lol.

One man's ghb is another man's Bob. This thread shows how much a bag can vary based on personality, preference, and an an individual's situation. Regardless of which way you go please keep sharing. My bag is light. I occasionally go through it with the goal of making it lighter. I'm in a rural area so my primary and secondary routes won't be high risk for urban unrest not if I recognize the situation and leave accordingly. Certainly the first choice is to drive home which is an option unless vehicles get fried. Next option is to walk to the local pawn shop on the way out of town and buy a bicycle. Last option is to walk. I most likely will have to walk 40 miles. Depending on factors such as weather and time of day I anticipate one overnight. Heck it could happen when it's a 100 degrees and I need to wait until it cools off.

I'm starting on a bag for my wife's truck and it will be very different. For example I have a mre and coast guard ration in mine. Not sure my kids will eat that and the portions are wrong so it will have something different. Thus every bag is different. She can also keep a bicycle at work.
A ghb and Bob are two completely seperate ideas/events/though processes.

And a good idea is to try to make mental notes of places you see bicycles on your commute. 9/10 bill will give you his kids mountain bike for that $200 in ghb cash you have.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom