• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Refreshing Your Get Home Bag

I think you're over looking literally every other scenario to say that though. Bugging is applicable to almost any major catastrophe such as fire, flood, earthquake, fallout etc. And there is no realistically respectable threat of "emp" attack as it's not beneficial to anyone with the capabilities. But that's a topic for a different post. Disaster preparedness falls into the same category along with serious civil unrest (see Ferguson, Baltimore etc) and a lot of us fail to recognize the parameters of this reality.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
So, in those other situations, what do I have in my GHB that I would not be able to dump because I would not need it? Preparedness means actually being prepared for as many things as possible.

BTW, a CME is a naturally occurring EMP and could happen at any time with little or no warning. They happen quite frequently, but most are too weak to cause any serious problems. However, about once a century the earth gets hit by a major one that would radically and permanently disrupt electrical devises. The last major CME occurred about 110 years ago. We are overdue.

That's more along the lines of what I was thinking of for a ghb. Once you get into the crazy weeks of food and tents and stuff its incredibly heavy bug out territory and I still think people that pack like that have never marched with a ruck lol

Think again. LOL! I've burned a lot of boot leather with a ruck on. I also regularly do miles with this one on. That's how I know what I'm capable of.

You and I have different strategies to handle an emergency situation. Yours is to move fast and get where you're going quick while possibly foraging along the way. Mine is to move slow and carefully while maintaining independence from the need for outside resources.

I can make my pack as light as I want by simply abandoning the things I don't need for the journey. You cannot easily add resources to yours.

It's better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it.

My GHB contains far more than what I did for my daughter. There are so many factors consider, not least of which is the person's ability to carry the bag and the ability or knowledge to use the contents. One thing I need to ensure she has in her car are comfortable walking shoes. Because I know her daily wear shoes wouldn't be good for walking more than a few hundred feet, lol.
Yep, lots of people overlook proper footwear. I keep both warm weather and cold weather boots (well broken in) in my vehicle at all times.

Best case if you have too much gear in your GHB - 1. give the items to a companion to carry; 2. barter / sell them to someone who needs them; 3. stash them for later.

If you don't have it, and need it - you're out of luck.

edit - no such thing as too much gear.

A ghb and Bob are two completely seperate ideas/events/though processes.

And a good idea is to try to make mental notes of places you see bicycles on your commute. 9/10 bill will give you his kids mountain bike for that $200 in ghb cash you have.

If you have a permanent location to head to in mind, a GHB and a BOB are essentially the same thing. Both are meant to get you to your bug in location. If you do not have a permanent location in mind the configuration of the pack would have to change, but you're pretty much screwed in that situation anyway.

Back
Top Bottom