• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Registered ghost guns

173   0
Reaction score
If there are no longer "ghost guns" because they all have to be serialized. Does it make it legal to sell finished products to private parties? Asking for a friend...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

As far as I know there is still no law saying you cannot build your own lower or that it has to be serialized. The new rule says that if you take it to any FFL to have work done and they keep it over night which requires it being logged in to their books, the FFL is required to serialize it. Same if the FFL took it in on trade. He would have to put a serial number on it so that it could be logged into his books. To the best of my knowledge you can still sell them private party to private party.

If you sell a privately made gun I believe you always had to serialize them though, no matter who they went to. I don't think this new rule changes anything there.

My understanding is it is a felony to sell a non-serialized firearm (80%, not OLD firearms w/o one). So, if you bought a Polymer80 Glock lower and made it into a pistol, you cannot sell it. There may be a way to serialize it so it could be sold, but I do not know.

You can sell a gun that was never serialized and made before GCA '68 was enacted. Lots of (mostly cheap) pre-1968 guns never had serial numbers.

However any gun made for sale after that needed a SN, and I believe that also applied to homebrew firearms if they were going to be sold.

OK, I may have not worded that correctly. I believe that if it is still an 80% lower and not finished you can still sell it in a private sale. That may even be incorrect now with the "new rules". It was never legal to build one into a functioning firearm then sell it without a serial number.

Yeah, I serialize mine not to long ago.

1662653270481.png

Back
Top Bottom