Reloading 5.56 questions

freedom

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
Is this crimped?
image.jpg

I'm going through some cleaned brass, some is range pick up. It looks crimped but has a silver colored primer. I normally put anything with a silver primer that I didn't load in a group of unknown for special scrutiny.

Does any .223/5.56 come from the factory with silver colored primers?

IMHO, that looks like someone reloaded military crimped Federal brass and just put a new primer in without reaming the primer pocket.

I know Tula brass .223 uses a silver primer, but hadn't noticed federal ever doing it. I guess I'll just keep sorting it out. I've got a lot of FC 11 like that.

Obvious reloads that someone didn't bother to pick up makes me nervous.

I know Tula brass .223 uses a silver primer, but hadn't noticed federal ever doing it. I guess I'll just keep sorting it out. I've got a lot of FC 11 like that.

Obvious reloads that someone didn't bother to pick up makes me nervous.
Your last statement is key. I just leave or toss them if I find them. Not worth the few pennies of savings to risk my rifle getting damaged or getting myself killed from a ruptured case.

Your last statement is key. I just leave or toss them if I find them. Not worth the few pennies of savings to risk my rifle getting damaged or getting myself killed from a ruptured case.

The earlier pics had to be factory. My decapper was bulging the primer it was crimped in so well.

Back
Top Bottom