• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading 6.8 spc need suggestions

bmwguy

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
25   0
Reaction score
I am relatively new at reloading and still learning, Only ever loaded for my 308.
It seems everyone has a different opinion on 6.8...bullet, primer size, powder, ect!!!
It's a 6.8 spc 16 inch barrel and 1:11 twist. I think I'm gonna use sierra pro hunters, it's my new deer gun. I plan on mostly using it for game, also would like to accurately hit paper in the off-season.
What's y'all's recipes I would like to try some out!
Thanks Kevin

I like the pro-hunters also. The hardest hitting bullet in my opinion is the Hornady 120 SST. They have been hard to come by lately. They may not be in production any longer. AA2200 is the preferred powder of most reloaders, but many others will work. I usually stick to the manuals as far as charge weights, however the SPC II chamber can supposedly handle much hotter loads. My favorite resource on this round is 68forums.com They have the most information for this round anywhere. They also have industry experts from barrel manufacturers to magazine producers. My 6.8 has been very accurate on the range, but hunting is what it is meant for. Ammo is too expensive to do a lot of paper punching.

GSP673 gave you good advice.
For hunting, the preferred bullets are Hdy 120gr SST, and Nosler 110 Accubonds. The 95gr Barnes TTSX are nice too, but a bit more $$$, but if only for hunting, shouldn't be an issue. I've taken deer and hogs with all 3.

Find yourself some AA2200 and start loading. Some people prefer the Small primer brass, but I don't load for MAX, so I don't care. There are a lot of good reloaders on the 68forum, but they seem to be obsessed with speed, loading long to get a few extra tenths of a grain of powder, etc. but you can find lots of good info there.

For plinking, I like the 90gr Speer TNT or blemished Nosler 115gr CC from Shooters Pro Shop. The Sierra pro hunter is super accurate but doesn't expand as well as other choices out there.

Thanks for the advice, I'm still working the logistics haha. I guess I can always buy a box of each bullet and see what shoots the best!

Back
Top Bottom