• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading 7.62x51 has me scratching my head

I just pulled all the 250s from my brass and replaced them with Federal 210s (LR). I am going to use Hornadys load data and start working up from the bottom again. Thanks for the help guys. On a side note, I will NEVER use Hodgdons web site for load data again. I can't believe their starting load is only .01 grains below Hornadys MAX load.

hornady neuters their loads. i load cfe .3 past hodgdons data. i trust the powder manu over bullet makers

hornady neuters their loads. i load cfe .3 past hodgdons data. i trust the powder manu over bullet makers
Maybe so, but the Hodgdon load data would have tore up my gun if I hadn't started at the bottom. I'm not trying to win any races, I'll start at the bottom and work up until I find the sweet spot.

On a positive note, while at the store I figured since I already had a crap ton of magnum primers, I picked up some powder and 180s for my 300 Weatherby Magnum. I haven't touched the big belted magnum since my last Elk hunt in 2003 and figured it might be fun to work up a new load for. I don't know what I will do with it once I build up a load since it is WAY too much gun for anything in Georgia, but it might be fun to make loud noises at the range and beat up my shoulder.

I have about 500 pieces of brass for it that I have accumulated over the years, so might as well work up a load and load them all. Figure 500 rounds of 300 WBY mag should outlast me and the gun. :thumb:

150s might be fun out of the belted magnum as well. There is something cool about a 150gr bullet traveling at 3400 feet per second. ;)

Try the 200 grain Accubonds.
My next project

Back
Top Bottom