• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading 9mm Pearls

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
Pearls of loading 9mm (9x19):

Loading the 9mm has some nuances that after years of reloading I didn’t figure out until lately. First off the cartridge is not exactly a simple straight wall case design. It has a slight taper from the base to the case mouth. The neck diameter is 9.65 mm (0.380 in), base diameter 9.93 mm (0.391 in) and rim diameter is 9.96 mm (0.392 in).

i45.tinypic.com_vgljc1.png

If your fired brass comes from one 9mm pistol barrel and not two or more guns then you can probably ignore the rest of this. However, if you have more than one pistol or you have more than one barrel issues can arise that if you are aware prior can reduce frustration and foul language.

I’ll use Glock 9mm pistol as example but it does not apply only to Glock. First off Glocks are an incredibly reliable sidearm that with little to no maintenance will continue to run. Other makes do as well so don’t get offended.

How do they do it? They as well as others who make “combat pistols” increase the tolerances where needed and reduce tolerances where needed then keep a tight shot pattern on those specifications. A combat chamber will have a calculated measure of slop in order to feed a wide variety of types and makes of ammunition. Failure to feed has been the bane of the semi-auto pistol of past and current.

Switching guns or more accurately swapping barrels can give a reloader fits when reloading for 9mm (9x19). Not an uncommon problem is the reloader who fires ammo in a larger chamber or obtains it elsewhere and during the resizing process notices that at the range or when dropping completed rounds down the tube a few stop short of fully chambering. This at least for me seems to be a problem when using “Match Grade” barrels as in infers the tolerances are tighter thus increasing potential accuracy but at some cost to reliability however small.

The issue might be the brass at the case base has expanded slightly and when de-capping/resizing the die falls short of truly resizing the full length of the case despite any claims of such. There are several methods of correcting this. A roll resizer will yield outstanding results but a hand operated one will run over $700 and an automated one several thousands.

Lee (I love these guys) modifies a .380 Makarov die that the finished round is then pushed through and it gets the slightly oversized base back down to spec. It runs around $30-40 and is a special order item directly through Lee. I can’t say enough good things about the die and the “bulge buster” rod that pushes the completed round through the die. It worked so good I bought .40 S&W and .45 ACP (they are factory crimp dies-FCD) to use and truly full length size the case in order to tighten my tolerances and reduce risk of failures. I now make better ammo that can be fired in a variety of barrels. I have yet to experience failure in my 9mm pistols using this step (yet).

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/233048-The-Dreaded-9mm-Bulge!?highlight=bulge+buster

A special note, since more folks are shooting cast bullets. The bullet lube can be pushed slightly on to the case rim and when chamber checking the rounds they can and will fall short of fully chambering them. All rounds after running them through the “bulge buster” get chamber checked (my tightest barrel). Those that fail get tossed in a QC pile. Then I take a small pocket knife and gently scrape the case neck of the QC pile and often find a dab of bullet lube interfering and preventing the round from fully seating. Out of 100 completed (cast) rounds a SWAG is 5-10 or so fail to chamber. Of the 10 most just have a dab of lube on the neck and a few require a run through the bulge buster a time or two more. If they then fail, it appears that the bullet canted and the bulge buster won’t fix that as it’s high up on the case and the 9mm die only works the base of the cartridge case. Warning visibly bulged cases should be discarded as scrap and not used as they could fail and might result in injury or death.

i50.tinypic.com_zwxevb.jpg

I see more and more folks reloading and reloading 9mm. With cast bullets it allows most to shoot nearly twice as much for about the same cost during times like these. Reloading at least allows some shooting as the far too many hoarders are snapping up the available supply of ammo on the shelf.

One last pearl for the silent types, cast bullets really cak up the suppressor and make cleaning a bit more of a chore. A dental pick will get the bulk of the lead cak off then use a wire brush with solvent to get the rest. Don’t shoot lead cast in a suppressor that can’t be broken down and cleaned.

Last edited:
Good info-

Just like to drop a little note to everyone to be sure and NOT shoot lead bullets in a Glock. (The manual says so, but no one ever reads it.)

The first time I ever shot a Glock, I had a case failure due to shooting lead reloads... (Guilty-I didn't have any idea! This was literally the first time I fired a Glock.) The gun made a strange noise and locked up. The bullet cleared the barrel fine, but half the case rim had exploded outward and downward-jamming the action up. Turned out OK.... The gun was undamaged, and just needed to be cleared-but really got my attention. I never shoot anything new without reading manuals now!

(I just like to share my little mishap whenever lead bullets come up. Glocks can have issues with the lead. I like to make sure everyone knows about that.)

Last edited:
Thanks Ram! You're always coming through with great info! Love loading and having a little supply on hand while the rest if the suckers are paying big bucks for lower quality, less accurate ammo.

Really not much of a debate.

Says right on page 15 of my G17 manual:

"Glock does not recommend the use of unjacketed lead ammunition."

I found out why. It ain't no internet hoax..... I had a minor "kaboom" right in my hands.

(Settled any "debate" right then and there for me.)

I have a .40 S&W Lone Wolf Barrel specifically for use in shooting lead projectiles
in my G23 ... in addition to avoiding lead fouling of the Glock Factory Barrel,
I also avoid the natural problem of both rapid and hard fouling when using both lead and copper in the same barrel.
BTW: for lead removal, I use either a Copper Chore Boy scouring pad, OR one of those plastic pads specifically
stated as safe for Teflon pans ... they both do a good job of "getting the lead out" .....

I can vouch for the Lee Bulge Buster as I have one and use it as required.
I always check each and ever round through a properly sized Lyman or Wilson
Max Cartridge Gauge, a gauge specifically designed to and manufactured to
assure that the case length, diameter and overall (loaded) cartridge length
is within specifications. Failing this test, I have the Bulge Buster available to
"Iron Out" bulge problems. (and "YES" according to the written instructions,
you CAN use the "Bulge Buster" on a re-sized as well as loaded cartridge).
However, I would use caution in passing loaded ammunition through it as
it will handle minor bulges just fine but may not handle something that is
REALLY FU-BARE'D ...

Last edited:
I have been hand loading pistol ammo for many years but started reloading 9mm after it passed $6 a box during "his" first term. I load Berrys plated bullets mostly and have never had any problems with any of my 9mm's chambering. I shoot the same loads with a mixture of brass through my Glocks, S&W's, Kimbers and Springer with no problems, but loading lead bullets in a 9mm just does not work for me. They work great in my wheel guns but not the autos. Plated bullets are almost as cheap as lead unless you cast them yourself and they solved all my 9mm loading problems.

Thanks rrdoc, just starting to reload 9 and that bit of info is handy to know.
I have reloaded some cases for 40 and 357 sig that had been through a glock- wow those cases were big.

Back
Top Bottom