• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading 9mm Pearls

I have a .40 S&W Lone Wolf Barrel specifically for use in shooting lead projectiles
in my G23 ... in addition to avoiding lead fouling of the Glock Factory Barrel,
I also avoid the natural problem of both rapid and hard fouling when using both lead and copper in the same barrel.
BTW: for lead removal, I use either a Copper Chore Boy scouring pad, OR one of those plastic pads specifically
stated as safe for Teflon pans ... they both do a good job of "getting the lead out" .....

I can vouch for the Lee Bulge Buster as I have one and use it as required.
I always check each and ever round through a properly sized Lyman or Wilson
Max Cartridge Gauge, a gauge specifically designed to and manufactured to
assure that the case length, diameter and overall (loaded) cartridge length
is within specifications. Failing this test, I have the Bulge Buster available to
"Iron Out" bulge problems. (and "YES" according to the written instructions,
you CAN use the "Bulge Buster" on a re-sized as well as loaded cartridge).
However, I would use caution in passing loaded ammunition through it as
it will handle minor bulges just fine but may not handle something that is
REALLY FU-BARE'D ...

Oh yeah-

I forgot about the Lone wolf barrels...

I have heard nothing bu good things about them. They are supposed to be fine with lead-as they changed the barrel feed area to make the chamber fully supported.

Last edited:
Oh yeah-

I forgot about the Lone wolf barrels...

I have heard nothing bu good things about them. They are supposed to be fine with lead-as they changed the barrel feed area to make the chamber fully supported.

I don't know about the "supported" part but I do know that they are simple to install / de-install, function as well as the OEM barrel, are accurate and look good!
I also have the 40-to-9mm conversion barrels for both my G23 and G35: SIMPLY AWESOME is the best way to describe them!!!

That is some good information OP. I have loaded thousands of 9mm and most of the brass is range pick up and no idea what it is fired in.
I use the Lee FCD in 9mm, .45acp and .38 Spl and never have any problems.

I know many competition shooters that shoot thousands of rounds of lead bullets in factory Glock barrels with no problems. It just requires a good cleaning every couple of hundred rounds.
I don't because of all the smoke. I do shoot the Bayou coated bullets in a G21 and have never had any problem and no leading but they are different than plain lead.

Here is what could happen:

glock-kb4.jpg

(From the looks of that primer, it seems that someone REALLY loaded that one hot. Could have been lead ammo as well.)
(This is what the Glock manual is warning about.)

This is a pic is the difference between undamaged chambers:

40swchambers.jpg

-Some people think it is a design flaw, but I disagree. As long as you stick to copper bullets, (and don't go crazy loading super-hot loads)this "unsupported chamber" thing will never be an issue.

Here you can see that the Lone Wolf guys changed the barrel slightly to make the chamber more supported:

unsupported-chamber.jpg

That had to have been SUPER hot or VERY crappy brass to make a 45 acp blow like that. Yea, that primer is pretty flat.

Yeah man-

And did you notice the primer strike area? It looks like that one was so hot that the primer "flowed" back into the firing fin channel. My guess would be a super-hot load. Maybe even a double charge or wrong powder.

My understanding that the problem with shooting lead in a Glock is that the rifling builds up lead faster than regular barrels do.I have shot hundreds of lead bullets thru my Glock 19 using 6.2 gr. of Blue Dot without a single problem.These are not hot loads.I end my session with a couiple mags of fmj. As mentioned earlier I clean my barrell real well when I get home. Not reccommending this to others, just saying.

My understanding that the problem with shooting lead in a Glock is that the rifling builds up lead faster than regular barrels do.I have shot hundreds of lead bullets thru my Glock 19 using 6.2 gr. of Blue Dot without a single problem.These are not hot loads.I end my session with a couiple mags of fmj. As mentioned earlier I clean my barrell real well when I get home. Not reccommending this to others, just saying.

Lots of factors are involved: Harder Lead will "skid" less on the "shallow" grooves of the Glock Factory Barrel, Softer Lead will "skid" more which results on faster "leading". The same can be said for "Hotter" Loads ...
and slightly under / over sized Lead projectiles even more ... That's why GLOCK Cautions against use of lead projectiles in their barrels ....

If you do used lead projectiles in a GLOCK Barrel (and I'm NOT Recommending that you do!) PLEASE USE CAUTION and do frequent checks of your barrel for possible lead build-up !!!

A buddy and I have been reloading other calibers for years and are about to jump into 9mm. Thanks for taking the time to put this stuff out there for everyone to read & learn!!

See that lead in Glock's is bad, what about cz75's?

what kind of powders do yall prefer and have you had success with?

Thanks guys! All your input is much appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom