14   0
Reaction score
IMG_0282.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_0326.JPG
IMG_0327.JPG
IMG_0329.JPG

So I got into reloading recently and it definitely takes up all my downtime. Thanks to all that replied with recommendations on a reloading set up last month. I know most advised against getting an ap for my first setup but it has been great so far. I ended up picking up a complete lnl ammo plant and plenty of knowledge from a fellow odt'er.

Here are the steps im using when making 223 brass. I feel like it takes me for ever with all the preparation of brass but I made 400 rounds last night but mostly prepped brass the night before.. Let me know if you have any tips or better steps I should take. This has been fun so far. I've reloaded and shot about 1000 9mm and 250 .223 Since I started this last month.

Most recent load data:
CFE223 26.6gr
Hornady 55gr bullets
Sellier - Bellot 4,4 small rifle primers
Once fired brass
2.200"
400 rounds

For 223 reloading I have been doing this:
Step 1 clean brass (tumbling corn cob media)
Step 2 deprime/lube/resize with rcbs lube die #1 and 223 hornady resizing die
Step 3 use primer pocket swage tool with lnl
Step 4 check brass with go or no go gauge and trim if needed
Step 5 primer, powder, bullet...

I only see one step that you might skip to help you speed up a little.Normally I don't feel the need to check case length on once fired brass. My experience has been that they usually don't stretch enough to harm anything until they've been fired 2 or 3 times.:)

I only see one step that you might skip to help you speed up a little.Normally I don't feel the need to check case length on once fired brass. My experience has been that they usually don't stretch enough to harm anything until they've been fired 2 or 3 times.:)
Thanks, what's the maximum case length you'd use before trimming?

Welcome to the reloading world.

Some cases, like the British .303 do stretch more quickly so measuring isn't a total waste of time, especially if you keep track of how many times that batch of brass has been used.

Regarding lube, mix 90-92% isopropyl alcohol with lanolin and you have the Dillon lube. The alcohol acts as a solvent for the lanolin , can be sprayed and evaporates quickly. Or use a dab of pure lanolin on the fingertips to lube several cases at a time.

Lastly, I now deprime everything with a Lee universal decapper then use an ultrasonic cleaner on all the brass. That really cleans the primer pockets.

Everyone finds their methods. Good luck, and be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, what's the maximum case length you'd use before trimming?
Most of my cases have been shot at least 2 and maybe 3 times before they get where the bolt takes a little effort to close on a bolt gun.Then I know they are getting time to trim them.Never measured it to see what that measurement was though.

Back
Top Bottom