• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading aluminum cases?

Interesting!
I haven't really paid a lot of attention to aluminum cases lately but I could swear when they first became popular they had Berdan primers in them?
in any case to me its not worth the efford to even bend over and pick the stuff up much less try to reload it.

CCI introduced alum. cases in their Blazer series, and they did have Berdan primers in them to keep them from being reloaded.

I wouldn't reload alum. What are you saving, 5 cents a case?

The Blazers certainly did have Berdan Primers, but they now use boxer primers.

If you choose to gamble, remember there is a price every time a case ruptures. At the very least, part of your chamber and/or breech face is scorched, possibly permanently damaged.

Guys, I agree that aluminum is not as strong as brass, just wondered if anyone out there had done it. Got my answer, cases go in the trash. I too, am all for "safety first". wallacem in Ga

I've had problems with aluminum cases that were factory loads. I can't even imagine the heart aches reloads would cause.

I am curious to hear your problems . I have shot somewhere in excess of 15,000 rounds of the stuff with exactly 1 dud from a bad primer . I have shot it in pistols and machine guns with no problems .

The aluminum cases that I've had problems with were 38 special Blazers . I was shooting my wife's Lady Smith and a .357 Taurus. I shot the Taurus first and I had one round spit a small piece of lead back and hit me in the face. It felt like a sting, I switched to the Lady Smith and after about 10 rounds it happened again. Because it was two different guns and the same box of 38 shells, I attributed it to the aluminum cases.

I agree that I have never had a problem with factory aluminum ammo in any caliber. I do, however, understand that it might not be a great idea to reload them. I understand that it can be done. I also understand that if it were a good idea, we have a butt load of very smart people that reload, and that they would have started reloading them long ago. I elect not to. Wallacem in Ga.

Back
Top Bottom