• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading for .41 swiss Vetterli converted to center fire

bulletpaluza

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
263   0
Reaction score
Does anyone else do this? I am in need of projectiles . 430(can use .429-.435 just prefer .430) 320-400 grains I need that heavy of a bullet so I can seat it properly and get a good crimp. Loading these over all length must be exactly perfect for proper function. I can't find any on all the normal websites. I really don't feel like spending $180.00 on a single (as in only makes a single bullet per poor) bullet mold that is specific to the Vetterli rifles.

If you have some I would like to buy 100 or so of them I could actually go as big as .435.

You're going to size down (swage) .458-.460 bullets to .430? Good luck.

Yeah I have done about the same difference before. Actually bent the handle on my cheap press that I use for such nonsense. The real benefit is the stretching of the projectile so I can measure and cut each on to the perfect length. Loading this round requires a really tight crimp and a really long bullet because it demands so much precision in length to to get the rifle to feed just right.

The real up side is I only need to do about 50 bullets because this rifle is not going to be shot all the time. When I shoot my obscure rifles I dedicate a lot of time to making the ammo. Or I never get to enjoy them. Wouldnt you want to shoot a rifle from 1869?

Lube them first or you will wipe out the lube grooves. Grease (bullet lube) won't compress, therefore you will keep your lube and grooves intact. I don't knock anyone for "making it work", that is a good bit of sizing though. Put a cheater bar on it Son!

I know I sized down some .325 (8MM Mauser) bullets to .314 and it completely wiped out everything. It was work too on a Lee Classic Cast STEEL press. After I was done the experiment still didn't work!

HAHA I did 8mm to .308 I had to lathe new grease grooves in. I expect to have to do that to these. If my lathe was better I would just turn them down on it.

Back
Top Bottom