• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading set up

I agree, Sporting Arms is a great place to get your primers and powder, he also has some fair prices for bullets. Jerry also has great prices on his guns, too. I have heard that Harbor Freight is a good place to buy your tumbler media, too.

Better check those Tumbler Prices and Media online. Harbour Freight isn't always the deal. Got my Lyman Turbo Pro for almost 1/2 of what Harbour Freight wants for theirs. Better Quality Calipers on Ebay for less $ too, You really need to SHOP and research these things. Unless you just have $ to throw away.

Last edited:
Forsyth Pawn has some of the best powder and primer prices in the Metro Area.

I would look at ChuckDog's recommendation on .45 loading using Universal Powder ...
It meters through powder measures really well and would be difficult to overcharge a case with!

FactorySales.com has some of the best prices on Lee Equipment (I would check with them to make certain that they
have what you want in stock.)

I'm getting ready to order one of their Classic Turrent presses myself!

Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one, even me. I would personally look for used equipment. I just picked up a used RCBS Rock chucker and RCBS Perfect powder measure for $110. Don't skimp on a press if you're going to do big rifle cartridges, buy something made out of cast iron , Lyman, Hornady, Dillon, RCBS, etc. The aluminum Lee's are probably OK for pistol cartridges though. Used is certainly the way to go, but it requires you to be patient. For dies, I personally like Redding, but would go with RCBS on a budget, used of course. For priming, a Lee autoprime can't be beat and they're dirt cheap. Also, don't try to get by without a tumbler, they can be had used and even new on sale cheap. I bought my last one (a used Lyman) for $20. Above all, find someone who already reloads to help you get started.

Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one, even me. I would personally look for used equipment. I just picked up a used RCBS Rock chucker and RCBS Perfect powder measure for $110. Don't skimp on a press if you're going to do big rifle cartridges, buy something made out of cast iron , Lyman, Hornady, Dillon, RCBS, etc. The aluminum Lee's are probably OK for pistol cartridges though. Used is certainly the way to go, but it requires you to be patient. For dies, I personally like Redding, but would go with RCBS on a budget, used of course. For priming, a Lee autoprime can't be beat and they're dirt cheap. Also, don't try to get by without a tumbler, they can be had used and even new on sale cheap. I bought my last one (a used Lyman) for $20. Above all, find someone who already reloads to help you get started.

You do realize that not all Lee presses are cast aluminum don't you. If it's square, it'll work. I loaded a butt load using an aluminum frame Lee press years ago. I've had most brands of single stage presses over the years. The only one's that I haven't liked pretty well are the types that roll over at the top of the stroke. It just makes die adjustment more tedious than necessary in my opinion. I have found no useful justification for this feature. The Classic Cast Iron Turret from Lee is a "best buy" for me. I use one without the auto index more than any other, because I like it. I've had a bunch of presses, still do, and yes I can afford any press I want, so I ain't limited with my experience with one or two. Based on my preferences I like the turret. Learn the basic fundamentals. Invest time before money. Good Luck.

Oh, I love this. I will let you in on the least expensive way to produce good and safe loads for the least money.
Every reloader needs to have a single-stage press, if for no other purpose than to handle some of the little chores that crop up.
So, let's get a usable single-stage press and a reloading manual at the same time.
Get the Lee Reloading Press and Richard Lee's Reloading Manual together from MidwayUSA:
Lee Reloader Single Stage Press Kit $37.99
When you buy a set of Lee dies, it will come with a shell holder and a yellow plastic dipper. In the instructions with the dies will be loading data, including loading data for use with the dipper. Look at the load information and note the bullet and powder you are interested that has a dipper load called out.
With the Lee Reloading Press, get the Lee Lee Ram Prime Priming Unit for Single Stage Press for $10.79 at MidwayUSA so you can primer your cases. Alternatively, you can prime your cases by hand with a Lee Auto Prime XR Hand Priming Tool for $18.49 and a set of special Lee Auto Prime Hand Priming Tool Shellholders Package for $14.99. Using the auto-prime eliminates having to handle the individual primers with your fingers.
For cleaning cases, find a clean towel or rag. Now, wipe the exterior of each case before you place the case in the shell holder to resize the case. This is the sum total of all the cleaning you need to make to prevent scratching the dies or cases and your guns will never care how shiny the brass is.
If you are loading bottleneck cases (like most rifle cartridges), you will need to apply a little case lube to the body of the case. You can get a 2oz container of Imperial Case Sizing Wax for $8.09 at MidwayUSA. Put a little on a finger and wipe a little onto the case body just below the shoulder. A little is all you need.
After you have picked up 100 bullets and 1 lb or powder that matches a load in the Lee die instructions or in the Lee Reloading Manual, you are ready to go. Pick up 100 primers (small pistol, large pistol, small rifle, or large rifle has your manuals specifies. You now have the consumables you need.
For the most consistent charges using a dipper, simply press the dipper under the surface of some powder you have poured into a cup or other small container so the powder fills the dipper by gravity. Lift the dipper up and strike off any excess powder using a business card. If you stick to the dipper from the Lee dies and Lee's loads, that is all you need. The loads are all safe and, as you get more consistent with the dipper, your loads will get a bit more consistent (it is hard to get more than 0.3gn over what Lee calls out, but you get less by hand shaking or other means.
After you have loaded for a while, you will see features in other presses that will mean something to you and the way you are loading and you can get a "better" press.
You will then want a powder measure and a balance to weigh you powder charges and verify your powder measure.
Then, you may decide that you simply have to have shiny like-new brass or the other shooters will think less of you and you can buy a tumbler/vibrator and media. Then, in your search for the perfect shiny case (which seems more important to some than how accurate their loads are), you will start to buy additives and waxes and solvents to get that shiny look. After that, it is just a short step to a $300 ultrasonic cleaner or $50-70 in stainless steel pins and a wet tumbler.
In the mean time, you will decide that you HAVE to uniform the primer pocket and deburr the flash hole as your load are simply too critical and important to be tainted by case inconsistencies. Even though your group is 2" at 25 yards, you must prep your cases. This can lead to a motorized case prep center for about $300.
By this time, you will realize that range pick-up is NOT suitable for your loads and you will buy virgin brass. You will ONLY shoot cases of the same head stamp and weight. You will track how many times each case has beeen fired and you will perform last-rites for any case that has reached 8 loadings.
You will also have at least 15-20 partial 1 lb cans of powder and a shelf load of partially full bullet boxes.
You will sort your bullets by +/- 0.2gn groups and, if you really care, you will weight each primer and sort them into 0.1gn groups. You will buy a Sartorius balance that can weight to +/-0.01gn because your groups will open up if the charge varies more than that.
At the end of the day, you will only be shooting as well as your practice time allows.

Back
Top Bottom