Status
Not open for further replies.

csmoak25

Default rank <200 posts
Gun Dealer
Firearms/Accessories Dealer
1   0
Reaction score
I was watching CNBC it was Titled Remington Under fire.

It seems there have been some deaths related to the 700 series rifle, the rifles have fired when the safety is flipped off.

It also seem Remington has new about this problem since 1946 when the trigger was developed but did nothing about it. The guy who invented the trigger wrote several memos to managment about the possible problem and told them it would cost 5 cent to fix the problem but Remington turned a blind eye to it. There have been thousands of complaints about it to Remington however they will not issue a recall and the GOV cant step in because it deals with the 2nd Amendment.

CNBC stated if you call remington they will add a disconnect for $25.
From what I understood it covered all the 700 series, model 7s, Remington Model 600, 650, 710, 770s and 700s. All the remington rifles have the same trigger except the new x mark pro trigger system

PLEASE PLEASE be careful

I cant speak for all of them, but i have owned over 30 diferent 700's over the years and the only ones i have ever seen even come close to firing when taking the safety off have had some type of trigger job done on them. The military uses this rifle and you can ask any sniper what they have seen, i dont believe you will find many people that would say they had this problem. I think it is very over rated so anti gun people can have something to rant on about.

Ok so what happens if I'm in my Toyota and the gas pedal gets stuck while I'm trying to put my Rem 700 on safe?

:deadhorse:

Dont get me wrong. I truely think that there are a few problem triggers on the 700 just like there are on every single gun in the world. And I also appreciate the OPs concern for us guys by posting this.
But if those guns had been pointed in a safe direction like they always should be then no injurys or deaths would have occured.

Reminds me of a kid in my 8th grade class that shot his nose off because he had his cocked and loaded 30.06 tied to a string pulling it into his tree stand. Hes lucky thats all he lost that day.

Ok so what happens if I'm in my Toyota and the gas pedal gets stuck while I'm trying to put my Rem 700 on safe?

:deadhorse:

Dont get me wrong. I truely think that there are a few problem triggers on the 700 just like there are on every single gun in the world. And I also appreciate the OPs concern for us guys by posting this.
But if those guns had been pointed in a safe direction like they always should be then no injurys or deaths would have occured.

Reminds me of a kid in my 8th grade class that shot his nose off because he had his cocked and loaded 30.06 tied to a string pulling it into his tree stand. Hes lucky thats all he lost that day.

Jesus!....That kid was stupid lucky......

I only posted the info to spread the word if you didnt know about the trigger problems. Remington estimated it affected about 10% of the 5 million rifles they have sold since 1946. The point is Remington will not recall the rifles for repair when there is memo after memo from the designer of the trigger in 1947 stating the gun could fire when the safety is flipped of. Our Military uses these guns and if I am not mistaken they have complained to. I think the problem is that Remington will not stand behind there product and fix it, all they want to do is sell it to you.

Appreciate the OP's posting the notice.

If you have one of the affected rifles (pre 1982 I think), and you cannot keep it pointed in a safe direction when taking the safety off, all you have to do is ship it to Remington and they'll fix it for $20 I think I read somewhere. They were fixing it for free up until the end of 2010. There is a reason that the 700 trigger and action are so popular. The Army has used the 700 action for decades now. I've owned them for 20 years and never had a problem but mine were all newer models. Exercise muzzle control. I've been in a room when there was a ND and it ain't funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom