• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington 700 firing when the safety is flipped off

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, ANY FULLY ADJUSTABLE TRIGGERS can be adjusted to the point that its unsafe. All (every phucking one) Remington centerfire trigger prior to the X mark were FULLY ADJUSTABLE! I have three of the said rifles with these triggers, I can adjust them to the point that the firing pin will drop as you close the bolt.
If you bothered to listen to CNBC never once was it asked if the rifles in question had been worked on. Not once! The gentleman who was spearheading the investigation. The one who lost his son . If you noticed was doing the interview from his reloading room. I'll bet my house that rifle had been tweaked. I don't know a single soul that takes accuracy seriously that shoots a factory out of the box trigger.
The reason I've always bought Remington is because in the 80's & 90's they didn't lawyer up their triggers.
My.02

OK. Here are a few of the questionable things from the CNBC report.

1) The boy's father had decided that he was going to dedicate his life to getting Remington before his son was even in the ground. He had done little or no investigation at that point and had already decided what the "facts" were.

2) If the design is flawed, why does it say only about 20,000 rifles can be "tricked into firing"? Wouldn't all 5 million have the problem? Perhaps Remington is estimating there are this many that have had bad trigger jobs done or have been maintained so poorly that they could malfunction.

3) Mike Walker, the designer of the trigger, clearly says the design is good. It only has a problem if the parts are out of spec. He says the injuries are due to "poor handling of rifles and that's all".

4) In the deposition of the Remington rep she admits that the 700 will fire without the trigger being pulled under certain conditions. She is being completely honest. If you mess with the trigger you can screw it up, but they didn't ask that. This was clearly a biased question meant to support legal action against Remington.

5) They say Remington created the "Ten Commandments of Gun Safety" in response to the trigger problems to try and cover themselves. Uh, what?! So these rules didn't exist before?

6) Their gun expert actually asks "what is a safe direction" concerning muzzle direction and the Ten Commandments. Like he doesn't agree that you should need be careful where you point the rifle.

7) Rich Barber, the dead boy's father and driving force behind this documentary, STILL OWNS AND SHOOTS REMINGTON 700 RIFLES!!!!!

There are a lot more things that come into question about the report. These are just a few of the really obvious ones.

The reason Remington has not done a recall or taken the trigger off the market is because it is a safe system and it simply is not necessary. Sure you can make any firearm safer than it is, in fact a lot of firearm manufactures are doing it. This is why you are hearing more people complain about the crappy and heavy triggers that are being supplied on some rifles today. Ultimately, the only way a firearms manufacturer can make a completely safe weapon is to make sure it will not shoot at all.

I think the claims are bogus, I have a 700 and I've tried dropping it (on carpet) flipping the sastef off and on from different bolt positions and it has never fired.

You can`t go by what your gun ain`t done.That`s just one gun.I have a Ruger P-94 that ain`t jammed in 2000 rounds.That means NEVER.Not for one second do I believe that every other P-94 out there has never jammed.

You can`t go by what your gun ain`t done.That`s just one gun.I have a Ruger P-94 that ain`t jammed in 2000 rounds.That means NEVER.Not for one second do I believe that every other P-94 out there has never jammed.

Absolutely true, but every malfunctioning rifle that Remington has been allowed to examine has either had the trigger altered, been maintained very poorly or they have not been able to get it to malfunction again (it fired with the owner because they had their finger on the trigger).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom