• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington 700 firing without pulling trigger?

Attaboy! Make up impossible situations and then don't stick by your guns!
explain how a slam fire occurs or a gun goes off while clicking the safety. Explain how a bolt action can't feed ammo. Because I'm not. If I "feel" it may happen it doesn't make it gospel. I feel you're a remington fan boy. Doesn't make it true.If I think a rifle might go off that's my opinion. If you like them buy them. when a shell goes in 98% of the way and a bolt won't close or maybe it's forced in with a gap. I don't know I don't design bolt actions. My experience is they suck. Next time I run across a defective remington I'll keep you in mind for a quick sale at a minor profit.
I don't own remington stock or weapons so I have not need to constantly defend the company.
From what little youtube I get from owners of their products, I'm not impressed. There are other rifles that shoot accurately at long distances I've no need to bow to one company.

explain how a slam fire occurs or a gun goes off while clicking the safety. Explain how a bolt action can't feed ammo. Because I'm not. If I "feel" it may happen it doesn't make it gospel. I feel you're a remington fan boy. Doesn't make it true.If I think a rifle might go off that's my opinion. If you like them buy them. when a shell goes in 98% of the way and a bolt won't close or maybe it's forced in with a gap. I don't know I don't design bolt actions. My experience is they suck. Next time I run across a defective remington I'll keep you in mind for a quick sale at a minor profit.
I don't own remington stock or weapons so I have not need to constantly defend the company.
From what little youtube I get from owners of their products, I'm not impressed. There are other rifles that shoot accurately at long distances I've no need to bow to one company.
If you can only find a little about the 700 on YouTube, you must be doing a very specific search. Perhaps only looking for things that support your opinion, rather than all information?

One of the reasons that the Remington 700 is so popular is because there are very few stock rifles that will do this:

This level of performance isn't unusual for the 700. It's a rarity in stock Winchesters and Rugers. Kind of makes you wonder how it's possible that they could be so good at engineering what is one of the most accurate stock rifles in the world, but can't manage to engineer a safe trigger system... twice.

Yes, since I am an Armorer for numerous weapon systems, and have a good knowledge of how firearms work, I can answer your questions.

Anything man-made can fail. I would not classify myself as a "Remington fanboy". I have seen good and bad Remington 700's over the years. Overall, I like Remington 700's very much. As a USMC Scout/Sniper I used the M40A1 (which has a Rem700 short action receiver and TRIGGER) to great effect. Outstanding rifle, one of the longest serving weapons in the US military, in use from 1966 to about 2001. Since I have shot, worked on, and taught students on, the Remington 700 (or Remington 700-based rifles) for over 25 years now, I have built up a very good, practical, working knowledge of how the Rem700 operates, what it's pros and cons are, what it likes, and what it doesn't like. I would be safe to say I have fired, or been present when it was fired, well in excess of 5,000 separate Rem700's.

If you understood how the safety in a Remington 700 works (or just about any bolt action), if the safety fails, whether through poor design, substandard manufacturing, or end-user error, it is quite possible for the rifle to fire with the safety on, or fire when the safety is manipulated. I have never denied it, and I've seen it happen. However, every one that I have personally seen occurred because either the user had tampered with the factory settings of the trigger, or the trigger was improperly maintained. Don't blame Ford because you never changed the oil in your Mustang, or you used the wrong oil, and you've got problems with it.

I remember back around 1998 or so, there was a period of a couple of years where I would not recommend a new Remington 700 to anyone, as I had seen some horrible rifles come out of the factory, especially the then-new LTR rifle. I saw one where the bore was parkerized and another where there was no rifling at all in the bore. Shameful. Whatever the issue was, Remington corrected it and started churning out a solid product once more.

I've seen bad Winchesters, Savages, Tikkas, Brownings, all straight out of the box.

So, yes, a failing safety (for whatever reason) can cause a Remington 700 to discharge. However, if the bolt is not totally closed and locked, it is impossible for a Remington 700 to fire unless someone has done some seriously heinous modifications to it. This is because:
1. The firing pin is not long enough to adequately strike the primer if the bolt is not all the way locked AND in battery.
2. A Rem700 firing pin moves forward and makes about a quarter turn counterclockwise at the same time when it goes forward to strike a primer. When the bolt is in battery and locked, the firing pin and firing pin spring are the only parts in the bolt that move. If the bolt is not in battery and locked, in order for the firing pin to go forward, the entire bolt body would have to rotate about a quarter turn clockwise to make up for this fact. The firing pin spring is not strong enough to move that entire steel bolt assembly with enough force to also detonate a primer. In addition to having no force, see #1 above. When the 2 are combined, in a stock rifle, it is impossible for the Remington 700 (or the Winchester 70, or the Savage series of centerfire rifles, or the Tikka, or the Ruger M77) to fire. This is not a feature of the Rem700 exclusively.....it goes for any modern bolt action I can think of.

I don't own stock in Remington, either. Yep, I own a couple of Remingtons. I also own a Mauser, Winchesters, Marlins, and numerous other rifle manufacturers. You'd be hard-pressed to find a more eclectic collection of firearms than what I have in my vault, so I'm not married to any one system. My handgun collection is even more widely ranging.

I'm not advising anyone to "bow to one company". Haven't seen anyone here advocate any such thing. What I am saying is don't condemn a single American gun company over a bunch of liberal anti-gun BS, especially when you've admitted you have very little idea as to what you're talking about.

I do not need to understand the guts of a TV to know why I buy Sony or samsung over Vizio.
I don't need to know the workings of an indy car to know why I choose a ford over nissan.
I don't need to know the tolerance and design data to choose a Ruger over a remington.

I could probably link people posting great groups with a hand full of other rifles.

A wise man once said; It is what it is. it's hard to make a second first impression.

Shoot, buy and defend what you want. I'm sticking to my story. I have a 3 year old hyundai that is having a few issues. if you think I'll buy another, you are mistaken. I've yet to see one stranded on the road but, the company won't get more of my cash after this one. Does it mean it's a bad car?
To me it does because I've got to deal with it . Enjoy the 700 I'll look elsewhere.

I'm going to spend my time doing other things now. have fun.

I do not need to understand the guts of a TV to know why I buy Sony or samsung over Vizio.
I don't need to know the workings of an indy car to know why I choose a ford over nissan.
I don't need to know the tolerance and design data to choose a Ruger over a remington.

I could probably link people posting great groups with a hand full of other rifles.

A wise man once said; It is what it is. it's hard to make a second first impression.

Shoot, buy and defend what you want. I'm sticking to my story. I have a 3 year old hyundai that is having a few issues. if you think I'll buy another, you are mistaken. I've yet to see one stranded on the road but, the company won't get more of my cash after this one. Does it mean it's a bad car?
To me it does because I've got to deal with it . Enjoy the 700 I'll look elsewhere.

I'm going to spend my time doing other things now. have fun.

Just when it was getting good.......sorry to muddy the waters with facts.

I have a REM 700 .222 that I inherited. I was told that it will intermittently fire when taking it off safety, however, I have not been to duplicate the behavior at least unloaded... And haven't tried it loaded. I have intentions of taking it apart and thoroughly going through it before shooting it... But haven't gotten around to it. It is all stock, and would guess it is from the 60's or 70's, as my parents used it coyote hunting before I was born. I will go through it and try to duplicate the behavior in the next couple days and post back...

They can say what they want, but the rem trigger is a good trigger, the problem is that its riveted together and when they assembled it , it was greased , over time when it was cleaned and lubed there was a direct path from the bolt raceway down in to the trigger assembly. So a concoction of all these lubes gets in there and congeals, now the trigger is so sluggish that the trigger return spring can't do what is supposed to do and bang it goes off. a thorough cleaning with carb cleaner will fix it

They can say what they want, but the rem trigger is a good trigger, the problem is that its riveted together and when they assembled it , it was greased , over time when it was cleaned and lubed there was a direct path from the bolt raceway down in to the trigger assembly. So a concoction of all these lubes gets in there and congeals, now the trigger is so sluggish that the trigger return spring can't do what is supposed to do and bang it goes off. a thorough cleaning with carb cleaner will fix it

In the Corps we used Zippo lighter fluid. Carries away the crud and leaves a very thin film of light oil behind. From the deserts to above the Arctic Circle, I never saw a problem.

Back
Top Bottom