• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington 742 malfunctions

Hoke

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
My automatic 742 is not functioning properly. It will not extract and replace with new shell. I have replaced with new parts and same outcome. I’m bumfuzzelled. And no factory to sent it to. Gunsmith has examined with no success.

I bought a new 742 in .06 in 1980. Still have it. It will never extract the first fired case from cold but will cycle perfect after that first round. Was looked at by 2 different gunsmiths and neither could tell me why. I just treated it as a 1 timer and hoped to make a good hit. It spends its retirement in the safe.

..I would suggest a Hoppes, "Bore Snake", in your caliber. Cock the action, and let the magazine keep it open, and pull that Bore Snake from the chamber end, about a dozen times. On the last pull, dip the large end of the Bore Snake, in a good gun oil, (Rem Oil), etc. That should solve your problem, if it has served you this long, so well. If not.....a barrel removal is in order.....which aint that big a deal, just a thumbuster in getting back together. Hope that helps.

I have one in 30.06 my father had. They have a bad rep but love mine and it has killed a tractor trailer load of deer over the years.
If it's cleaned and lubed, chamber included, most of the time it's mag related. Might have to gently tweek the feed lips to reduce the drag on the bolt loading the round. The bolt needs close fast and hard on that first round. Might can try only loading 3 rounds in the magazine also.

Back
Top Bottom